Chemical Safety Audit Checklists
Effectively manage hazardous chemicals and stay compliant with a mobile app
What is a Chemical Safety Audit Checklist?
A chemical safety audit checklist is a tool used in evaluating systems in place that manages hazardous chemicals. Performing chemical safety audits ensure that systems in place follow best practices and are adequate and effective. This tool can also be used to ensure compliance with local regulations in the proper handling of hazardous chemicals.
Why Proper Management of Hazardous Chemicals is Important
Proper handling, storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals in the workplace can help reduce exposure to toxic materials and related workplace incidents. Without proper controls and training in place, exposure to chemicals can cause burns, respiratory illnesses, and cancer as well as fire and explosion-related injuries. Any industry that handles hazardous chemicals needs to be aware of safety practices and common harmful chemicals including (but is not limited to) paints, disinfectants, glues, heavy metals, pesticides, and petroleum products. Regular chemical safety audits can help identify gaps in the handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous chemicals and help prevent incidents before they occur.
Chemical Safety Best Practices
Overexposure to chemical substances may cause acute or chronic health damages. Follow these general tips to protect yourself from chemical hazards.
- Ensure chemical containers are clearly labeled.
- Inspect containers for leaks or damage.
- Keep containers tightly closed when not in use.
- As much as possible minimize your exposure to a chemical substance.
- Read the label and follow instructions carefully.
- Ensure emergency equipment are readily available.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Proper training for chemical handling.
- Be cautious of health symptoms.
- Be aware of first aid procedures.
- Do not return contaminated or unused material to the original container.
- Use proper tools to open chemical containers to prevent spillage
- When pouring chemical substance handle with care to avoid splashing and spurting.
- Keep the working area clean.
iAuditor as a Chemical Safety Audit Tool
Manage your safety systems using your mobile or tablet device when you replace paperwork forms with a digital tool. Effectively conduct regular site inspections and safety audits with iAuditor. iAuditor is a mobile inspection app that empowers teams to collect the right information and help leaders manage operations wherever, whenever. Utilize iAuditor for your chemical safety audits with the following features:
- Use digital templates that you can easily build in minutes or customize one from our public library for your team to use
- Conduct chemical inspections and safety audits using your mobile or tablet device Gather consistent and accurate data with different types of responses (text answers, checkboxes, multiple responses and more)
- Capture photo evidence of chemical hazards, location, temperature, and digital signatures
- Assign corrective actions to members of the organization during inspections
- Track and monitor performance and frequency of chemical safety audits with analytics to identify trends and problem areas, all the data you need to move the business further
Top 6 Chemical Safety Audit Checklist
Chemical Handling, Storage and Disposal Checklist
Use this template to conduct an inspection on proper handling, storing, and disposal of hazardous chemical substances. Begin with a description of the worksite activity and list down hazardous chemicals being handled. Check if employees are wearing appropriate PPE and are trained surrounding the emergency procedures. Inspect the chemical containers to ensure packages are labelled clearly and in good condition. Evaluate if hazardous chemicals are stored properly. Observe the waste disposal process and ensure that standard operating procedures are followed. Conclude the inspection by providing a final safety recommendation and areas for improvement.
OSHA Hazardous Chemical Exposure Checklist
This OSHA Hazardous Chemical Exposure self-inspection checklist can be used as a safety precaution before handling chemical substances. Ensure that trained and fully equipped personnel will be performing the task. Check chemical containers for leakage, damage or dents and if the work area has a proper ventilation system installed.
Most chemicals can enter the body through skin absorption, inhalation, and ingestion. Mishandling of chemical substances can often lead employees to serious injuries or fatalities. Wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) like safety gloves, suits, goggles and face masks can help eliminate these hazards. Use this checklist to select the appropriate PPE and check its condition before exposure to chemical substances.
Accident Report Form Checklist
Accidents and injuries are common in workplaces when chemical safety procedures were not followed. Compile accident records for your organization to track the improvement on safety. Document significant data of the injured person, injury details and factors contributing to the incident. Also, record hospitalization and witness statements for more accurate information.