Minimizing Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals
Overexposure to chemical substances may cause acute or chronic health damages. Follow these general tips to protect yourself from chemical hazards.
- Ensure chemical containers are clearly labeled.
- Inspect containers for leaks or damage.
- Keep containers tightly closed when not in use.
- As much as possible minimize your exposure to a chemical substance.
- Read the label and follow instructions carefully.
- Ensure emergency equipment are readily available.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Proper training on chemical handling.
- Be cautious of health symptoms.
- Be aware of first aid procedures.
- Do not return contaminated or unused material to the original container.
- Use proper tools to open chemical containers to prevent spillage
- When pouring chemical substance handle with care to avoid splashing and spurting.
- Keep working area clean.