Published 1 Dec 2022
What are Server Maintenance Checklists?
Server maintenance checklists are tools used by IT professionals when conducting routine server maintenance. They list tasks that should be completed on a regular basis (daily, weekly, or monthly, etc.) in order to ensure the continuous and optimum performance of servers.
IT professionals can use this server maintenance checklist template when performing daily or weekly server maintenance. Selecting Daily or Weekly will automatically prompt the appropriate items to check for the day/week. Use this digitized checklist on the SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor) mobile app to:
- Check logs and cover categories under an active directory, hardware, software, and network.
- Determine if there are any issues found, add corrective actions, and categorize them according to the level of urgency.
- Capture photo/video evidence of issues found and assign tasks to the appropriate person to resolve critical issues.
- Note observations on their report regarding the day’s maintenance and submit reports for handover to the next staff on duty.
- Schedule regular checks that notify staff when to complete inspections in order to not miss critical maintenance processes.
- Complete the maintenance checklist by adding a digital signature.
In this article
- What is Server Maintenance and Why is it Important?
- What is Included in Server Maintenance?
- Top 5 Server Maintenance Tips
- Benefits of Using a Server Maintenance Checklist
- What is SafetyCulture and how can I use it for Server Maintenance?
- Featured Server Maintenance Checklists
What is Server Maintenance and Why is it Important?
Conducted with a server maintenance checklist, server maintenance intends to proactively catch issues before they cause costly and unscheduled downtimes that interrupt the continuous operation of businesses and organizations. It is also done whenever a server issue occurs to minimize possible operational downtimes and prevent recurrence.
What is Included in Server Maintenance?
Whether performing a daily, weekly, monthly, or any of the scheduled server maintenance – sustaining the optimum performance of servers involves completing a list of items that target these key areas:
- OS/Software – There’s a need to be up-to-date with OS updates, application updates, patches, and security updates to make sure that bugs are fixed and that your system is safe from threats.
- Hardware – Check the server room’s temperature, airflow, humidity, and make sure there’s no dust and debris that can disrupt airflow.
- Logs – Proactively check logs to look for signs of impending issues that can potentially disrupt operations.
User access – Deactivate the system access of persons who are no longer associated with the company. Unauthorized access is a huge threat to information security.
Top 5 Server Maintenance Tips
Below are the top 5 server maintenance tips:
- Install latest OS and application updates.
- Check for security updates and patches.
- Check hardware temperature and components for debris.
- Deactivate access of persons no longer with the company.
- Use server checklists for maintenance work.
Benefits of Using a Server Maintenance Checklist
Using a checklist during server maintenance can help:
- Ensure that all items are covered and issues are recorded and properly addressed.
- Implement a consistent and systematic process between shifts and IT teams working round the clock to ensure the uninterrupted operation of servers.
- Serve as documentation required by certain certification for international standards.
What is SafetyCulture and how can I use it for Server Maintenance?
SafetyCulture, a powerful mobile inspection app, can help perform on time server maintenance checks. SafetyCulture’s scheduling feature reminds users when maintenance is due and administrators can track if maintenance checks are indeed fulfilled within the scheduled window. Take photo evidence using your handheld device and record notes regarding issues found. Assign tasks to address urgent matters even while a server maintenance check is ongoing. Generate digital reports on the spot for handover to IT teams anytime.
Sustain optimal uptime, save time & effort, and prepare for scheduled downtimes by proactively conducting server maintenance using these customizable digital server maintenance checklists! Browse and download them for free with SafetyCulture!
Featured Server Maintenance Checklists
This IT server maintenance checklist can be used on either the monthly or quarterly check of the server. Use this during periodic checks to cover critical items and make sure nothing is overlooked. All SafetyCulture templates can be edited to fit the needs of your business.
This checklist can be used during the bi-annual or annual periodic checks of the server when hardware and software updates or settings need to be kept up-to-date. Trends of server maintenance checks can be observed on the SafetyCulture online platform.
You can use this template to assess the risks and vulnerabilities of your server and your business’s IT and information security. IT Managers can use this as a guide to perform the following:
- Identify threat and existing controls
- Record the possible consequence, likelihood, and risk rating
- Provide recommendations
- Enter as many risk items found as needed