Published 30 Nov 2022
What is an employee onboarding process?
An employee onboarding process refers to a protocol designed by a company’s HR and training department in order to prepare new hires for work. It aims to acclimate new hires to the company’s culture, orient them about its history and mission, set job expectations for their respective roles, and provide basic training. An employee onboarding checklist is typically used to verify the collection of required documents from the new employee, and to confirm the complete administration of onboarding processes.
Use this onboarding process template to check if standard onboarding processes were followed:
- Ensure that new hire’s workstation is ready for use
- Provide orientation on company policies, attendance, proper conduct, job expectations, and supply employee handbook
- Have the HR manager and new employee provide their digital signatures to verify compliance
In this article
- What does a new hire onboarding plan include?
- Mobile App to Perform and Document New Employee Onboarding
- Featured Onboarding Checklists
What does a new hire onboarding plan include?
An effective new hire onboarding plan must ensure that new hires have everything they need to perform their daily work tasks. A typical new hire onboarding plan generally covers the following areas:
- Preparing new employee’s workstation, company email, and office supplies
- Collection of new hire employment records such as letter of contracts and tax certificates
- Orientation the company’s history, culture, and mission
- Introduction to teammates, supervisor, and manager
- General and role-specific training
Mobile App to Perform and Document New Employee Onboarding
A good onboarding process can lift employee engagement, collaboration and retention. As businesses grow, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain a high-level onboarding process. Automating this process can help HR personnel streamline their orientation process and provide a consistent, high-quality onboarding experience by using an onboarding process checklist from SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor).
Use your mobile onboarding checklists anytime, anywhere
- Use new hire onboarding checklists on your phone or tablet, even while offline
- Ensure compliance with standard onboarding practices
- Take pictures of required documents as evidence and save them via unlimited cloud storage
Instantly generate and share onboarding templates and reports
- Create new onboarding templates or convert paper templates to our digital format and share them with colleagues
- Share completed reports with supervisors and managers for greater visibility
- Export reports in a variety of formats including PDF, DOC, and CSV
Manage teams better
- Assign and track corrective actions to personnel in real-time for faster issue resolution
- World-class 24/5 customer support to assist you with your SafetyCulture queries
Featured Onboarding Checklists
Promoting employee awareness on safety regulations is important during onboarding. Safety officers and HR personnel can use this construction new hire checklist template to verify if safety rules, company policies, employee’s responsibilities, rights, and benefits are thoroughly explained to the new employee before they commence to work. Record completion of employee’s requirements and affix digital signature to confirm understanding of onboarding process.
Use this new starter onboarding checklist to discuss the requirements and responsibilities of new hires in your project or company. Avoid missing important portions that need manual checking and ensure proper communication of expectations for the job. Streamline your onboarding process by diving into vital onboarding procedures including:
- new employee processing
- job responsibilities
- hours of work
- payroll and time reports
- rights and responsibilities
- information systems
- office environment/equipment