Published 15 Sep 2023
What is an Employee Satisfaction Survey?
An employee satisfaction survey is a document that can help gauge employee experience, expectations, and current feelings about their work or organization. It is often done regularly for employers and organization heads to better understand their employees and their needs.
In this article
- What is the Importance of an Employee Satisfaction Survey?
- What to Include in the Survey
- FAQs about Employee Satisfaction Surveys
- Manage Employee Satisfaction with SafetyCulture
- Related Employee Satisfaction Surveys
What is the Importance of an Employee Satisfaction Survey?
An employee satisfaction survey is often done once a year or more depending on the organization. Conducting regular employee satisfaction surveys is a great way to better understand your employees, as well as improve the workplace as a whole. With a survey, you can quickly collect data from multiple employees all at once, which can help you compare findings and identify trends and common opinions, as well as spot points for improvement in your leadership, your employee’s performance, or the organization’s processes.
An employee satisfaction survey also serves as a platform for communication for workers to air out thoughts and opinions that they might not have had the chance to do so before. Following this, employees can engage with their company more, which can help employee retention rate and productivity.
By actively involving employees in the feedback process, organizations show that they value their opinions and are committed to creating a positive work environment. In the process, this can lead to improved engagement levels and a stronger connection between employees and the organization.
What to Include in the Survey
Each organization has their own metrics for employee satisfaction. However, most of them aims to analyze the same factors.
A typical employee satisfaction survey contains fields for the following questions:
- How does the employee feel about their role in the organization? Do they feel their experience with it is as expected?
- Does the employee feel that they have the right support to effectively perform their role?
- What does the employee find challenging about their daily work?
- What does the employee think about their superiors? Are they satisfied with their performance?
- Is the employee content with their salary and benefits?
- What does the employee feel about the company as a whole?
- Does the employee think anything can be improved about the company?
These employee satisfaction survey questions can be reworded depending on the organization, but most surveys are centered around these.
Here is a sample employee satisfaction survey for reference:
FAQs about Employee Satisfaction Surveys
An employee engagement survey aims to understand how an employee interacts with their environment at work. It is more involved with employee output and activities in the workplace, but it also works together with an employee satisfaction survey, as satisfaction can also be factored into engagement.
In most cases, Human Resources (HR) personnel are in charge of employee satisfaction surveys. They then delegate team leaders to conduct them or collect results to be relayed to them. Sometimes, team leaders can also create their own surveys.
Manage Employee Satisfaction with SafetyCulture
Employee satisfaction surveys are a valuable tool for gauging the well-being of your workforce and identifying areas for improvement. To ensure successful surveys that yield actionable insights, it’s essential to follow best practices, one of which is to go digital with your surveys.
With a digital employee satisfaction survey from an operations platform such as SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor), a mobile-ready operations platform, data can be better organized and collected, making for a more streamlined process to improve employee experience. Going digital also ensures that all files are easily accessible and stored anytime and anywhere.
To get started with SafetyCulture, you can download premade employee satisfaction surveys from the Public Library and edit them as you see fit, or create your own from scratch. Each form will be stored in the cloud, and every completed survey will have modifiable access controls to protect employee data.
SafetyCulture also allows you to do the following:
- Empower employees to report issues with satisfaction and have actions created to address them
- Disseminate information to your team or organization with Heads Up
- Schedule employee satisfaction surveys and meetings and be notified of them
- Improve workflows by centralizing commonly used software with Integrations
- Study employee opinions and thoughts with Analytics
- Train other leaders and staff on how to proper conduct employee satisfaction surveys and how to interpret findings
- Share survey results and forms by exporting them in PDF, Excel, Word, or Weblink formats
Related Employee Satisfaction Surveys
Use this survey template to gather employee insights on diversity and inclusion. With a dedicated survey on inclusion in the workplace, you can gather relevant feedback on how it can impact the level of how your employees are engaged in the workplace and implement corrective measures for improvement.
This general employee evaluation form can be used to document employee performance, accomplishments, and areas for improvement. With a help of a digital form, you can assess an employee’s job knowledge, quality of work, attendance, and productivity from the palm of your hands.