Retail management is the running of retail outlets and managing the day to day activities surrounding the selling of goods and services to customers. It is the process that aims to make sure that customers are happy with the goods and services they purchase
and that retail outlets run smoothly and remain profitable.
Key to any effective retail management strategy are the individual store managers. They take care of store employees, help achieve sales goals, assist with maintaining customer satisfaction, oversee the daily activities of the retail outlet, and empower
colleagues who may be potential store managers in the future.
This article will briefly discuss the responsibilities of retail store managers and list some important skills that can help effectively run a retail outlet. We also offer some tools that store managers can use to help them fulfill their important daily
Store Manager Responsibilities
Store managers are key to maintaining the profitability of the retail stores and their colleagues can turn to them for help with the following:
# 1: TAKING CARE OF STORE EMPLOYEES
Store managers are involved in the hiring, induction, training, coaching, and supervision of the store’s staff.
The store manager can help in empowering the staff with the knowledge, tools, and skills needed to communicate with customers and do their job well.
Store managers can help store employees in making make sure that the workplace is safe and compliant with safety regulations and ergonomic to avoid causing injury not only to the customers but also to the staff.
Store managers can recognize a job well done and provide the commendation that can further inspire an employee to continue doing well. Employees’ areas for improvement is something that store managers can help the staff realize through employee coaching
and they can work together to create action plans.
Store managers can work closely with the store employees and know them enough to be aware of possible absences and make sure that the retail branch is still well staffed and functioning to meet the demands of the business.
The store manager can collaborate with the head office on behalf of staff to help address possible employee concerns.
Store managers can inspire colleagues, lead by example, and boost the morale of store employees to help maintain optimum performance.
# 2: TAKING CARE OF THE STORE
The store’s staff can always ask store managers for help in making sure that the merchandise is properly displayed, there are enough goods in stock, and that the store’s inventory is constantly updated.
Store managers can assist in monitoring product pricing, keeping track of store expenses, maintaining the set standards for quality, and helping the staff identify items that may not be at par with the store’s standards.
The store manager’s product knowledge can come in handy in case a store employee is struggling with customer inquiries.
In cases of customer complaints, a store manager can step in and help colleagues address issues and work together to come up with win-win solutions.
Store managers can provide direction and offer some tips to help the store’s staff reach sales goals.
# 3: GROOMING FUTURE STORE MANAGERS
- Sharing best practices on how to properly interact with customers, showing how things are done in the retail outlet, helping keep the workplace safe, and maintaining a working environment that is conducive to productivity and set to reach
sales goals – these are some of the ways store managers can help the retail store produce new store managers.
- One way to help employees set themselves up for success is by giving them proper employee coaching. During employee coaching sessions, the store manager can commend the
employee on a job well done and at the same time raise possible concerns and work together to come up with actions plans to address areas for improvement.
- Through leading by example and providing clear direction for running the retail outlet, store managers can contribute in creating future effective store managers and, in doing so, open opportunities for promotion not only for their colleagues
but also for themselves.
Tools of the Trade
Retail store managers can use all the help they can get to be empowered with assisting their staff and run the retail outlet smoothly. iAuditor, the world’s #1 cloud-based inspection app, can be a great tool to help store managers with the following:
- Conveniently oversee the day-to-day retail operations using a mobile phone, tablet, or iPad;
- Check if everything and everyone is ready before the store opens and closes;
- Be reminded of scheduled delegated tasks;
- Fulfill inventory and complete all quality and safety checks;
- Add to the customer’s experience by gathering customer feedback using kiosks;
- Conduct employee coaching and training;
- Generate reports on the spot and send them electronically to proper departments;
- Observe the store’s or other branch’s trends using Analytics and watch out for frequently failed items to identify areas for improvement.
With multiple concurrent responsibilities in retail operations that store managers help look after, iAuditor is here to assist in fulfilling the job.
Browse our FREE Retail Store Operations Templates