What is Root-Cause Analysis?
Root-cause analysis (RCA) is a methodical approach in analyzing a problem and eliminating its root-cause to solve counterproductive issues or events. A root-cause analysis template is used by cross-functional teams of subject matter experts to construct a good problem statement, collect relevant data, identify the root cause and implement solutions.
The prevention of recurring problems validates that RCA-recommended actions can improve business processes and boost productivity. This article features:
- What is the right root-cause analysis tool for my problem?
- How to efficiently perform RCAs with a digital root-cause analysis tool
- Free root-cause analysis templates you can download, customize and use
Click here to download Top 5 Root-Cause Analysis Templates
What is the right RCA tool for me?
Different business problems entail a specific approach to reach the accurate conclusion of the root cause, formulate correct solutions and achieve optimum results. Here are 4 of the best RCA tools to help you determine the right approach for your problem.
Tool #1: 5 Whys Analysis
One of the most widely used problem-solving techniques is the 5 whys analysis. It is applied to universal problems across various industries due to its simple but practical nature. As a rule of thumb, the root cause is discovered by asking, “Why did this problem occur?” five times. Use a 5 whys analysis template for initial root-cause analysis and easily build a culture of collaboration and accountability among employees.
Tool #2: Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
An FMEA aims to anticipate potential problems before they happen so that their adverse effects on customers can be mitigated. Product design and process improvement professionals perform failure modes and effects analysis to prevent costly manufacturing failures and increase customer satisfaction. A highly functional FMEA template is crucial for success in implementing FMEAs.
Tool #3: 8 Disciplines of Problem-Solving (8D)
Quality engineers in the automotive industry first developed 8D for comprehensive RCAs of critical problems in the production process. Applying the 8D approach in healthcare, retail, and manufacturing has also been proven to drive effective system changes. Practice this team-oriented problem-solving technique by following these steps:
Conduct an 8D root-cause analysis when safety or regulatory issues have been discovered in your business and repetitive customer complaints about your product/service are received. Permanent corrective actions based on data and information related to the problem can be established using an 8D template.
Tool #4: DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control)
For any project that needs improvement, follow the DMAIC process and focus efforts on the analyze phase. As the most recognized Six Sigma methodology, its strength lies in the structure and rigor from quantifying the problem to implementing long-term solutions. Use a digital DMAIC template to breakdown the root-cause analysis by defining performance objectives, identifying value/non-value added process steps and specifying the sources of variation.
iAuditor as your Ultimate RCA Tool
Root-cause analysis with your team can achieve optimum results when integrated with a digital RCA tool such as iAuditor, the world’s most powerful inspection software. Empower your RCA team with iAuditor and take advantage of:
Streamlined data collection
- ✔ Perform RCAs anytime, anywhere from any iOS, Android, or Windows smartphone or tablet!
- ✔ Capture and store unlimited photos as proof of verified root causes.
- ✔ Validate data and information using digital signatures.
- ✔ All data is automatically saved and secured in the cloud!
Instant RCA reports
- ✔ As your team completes a root-cause analysis, an RCA report is automatically produced!
- ✔ Share RCA reports to all stakeholders with just the tap of a finger!
- ✔ You can also export your RCA report in various formats such as PDF, DOC, CSV, etc.
- ✔ Customize your RCA template to generate reports that fulfill your business needs.
Enhanced team administration
- ✔ Manage teams easily with structured groups.
- ✔ Assign and track corrective actions to team members.
- ✔ Update actions from your mobile device and receive notifications in real-time!
- ✔ Your RCA team is also backed up by world-class 24/5 customer support!