Published 28 Nov 2022
What is a Work Environment Survey?
A work environment survey is a form that aims to collect employee and employer feedback on their immediate work environments. This survey covers working conditions, culture, and leadership.
Use this work environment survey template from Hemp Foods Australia to analyze your workers’ safety practices in their respective workplaces. This form can be downloaded for free and edited to fit the needs of your business. It also allows the inspector to:
- Choose the role (staff, manager, or supervisor)
- Inspect how the managers fulfill their responsibilities
- Identify issues by raising actions to solve them
- Rate overall compliance with rules and regulations
In this article
- Why Ask for Employee Feedback on Work Environment?
- What Questions Should I Ask in a Work Environment Survey?
- FAQs about Work Environment Surveys
- Collect and Manage Employee Feedback with a Digital Survey App
- Related Work Environment Survey Templates
Why Ask for Employee Feedback on Work Environment?
Collecting feedback on anything is an essential part of learning what to improve and manage. This is especially true and important for any workplace and working environment.
In any workplace, a work environment survey can help identify points for improvement and opportunities for growth. Some work environment factors a work environment survey considers are:
- Their office environment’s spacing, appearance, equipment, and the like
- The people around them and if they get along with them
- Their leaders and if they agree with their leadership
- The company policies in place and their implementation
- Their benefits and satisfaction with their jobs
- The safety of their workplace
- Their fieldwork location’s environment, if applicable
- The overall culture of the workplace
By knowing what a company’s people think about their working conditions and environment, company leaders can thus adjust accordingly to ensure their employees are well-satisfied and compensated. In the long run, this can lead to a safer, more productive workplace with high-performing staff that does their best in everything they do.
A work environment survey can also help companies attract the right talents. If an applicant knows they will thrive in a certain work environment, they are more likely to apply to it and strive to be accepted. Similarly, a company that listens to their employees’ feedback on the work environment is more likely to have a low attrition rate and a high number of employees that are satisfied with their work and employer.
What Questions Should I Ask in a Work Environment Survey?
While each industry and company have its own set of questions and cultures to analyze, a work environment survey has the same goal regardless.
A work environment survey template often asks questions regarding the following:
- Management commitment – if managers and other leaders are committed to their roles and responsibilities
- Consultation practices – if consultations and conversations, both internal and external, are coordinated, follow protocols, and promote safety first
- Safety procedures – if both managers and employees prioritize safety in everything they do by knowing how to identify risks, mitigate them, and address them
- Training – if staff are trained correctly to do their work and other emergency procedures
- Reporting protocols – if safety risks are identified and reported immediately and managed in an orderly manner
- Worker compensation and benefits – if all employees, regardless of ranking, are compensated fairly and have benefits that they look forward to
FAQs about Work Environment Surveys
The work environment can be evaluated by employers or managers by interviewing their staff, or by conducting surveys and providing questionnaires. Surveys can be completed face-to-face or online, and are best done with a digital tool to ensure no paper forms are lost.
An employee survey is more focused on asking questions about the employee’s experience in their work and their overall work experience. While similar to a work environment survey, an employee survey also asks about engagement with one’s work, morale at work, and their achievements.
Collect and Manage Employee Feedback with a Digital Survey App
Conduct work environment surveys and identify points for improvement in your workplace with the help of digital forms from SafetyCulture. SafetyCulture is a mobile-first digital checklist app that can help employers and managers with data collection, risk inspection and assessment, safety management, and overall workplace management.
With SafetyCulture, you can conduct work environment surveys and other related surveys from anywhere and anytime. Create your own smart surveys with logic fields to gain a deeper understanding of employee feedback and require media and notes for certain fields. Alternatively, you can convert existing PowerPoint, PDF, Excel, or Word work environment survey templates for SafetyCulture use, or download free editable work environment survey templates from iAuditor’s Public Library to get started with your data collection. All SafetyCulture forms are stored in the cloud for easy access and usage, and can later be exported as a PDF file, Word file, or webpage.
You can also use SafetyCulture to:
- Use and generate QR codes to conduct surveys quicker
- Identify issues in the work environment based on employee feedback
- Create actions and assign them to the respective employees to address the problems mentioned in your SafetyCulture survey forms
- Generate reports on your surveys’ analytics
- Customize survey form reports to show or hide different sections as needed
Related Work Environment Survey Templates
This survey was created by TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, a moving company from the US, to help with their employee evaluation practices. Download and customize this survey form to rate your staff’s attitude at work, their customer service and relations, hygiene, listening skills, and more.