Top 3 Racking Inspection Checklists
Identify and resolve racking issues immediately using a mobile racking inspection app and ensure warehouse safety at all times.Jump to featured templates
Published March 26th, 2020
What is a Racking Inspection Checklist?
A racking inspection checklist is used by authorized warehouse inspectors to identify rack issues or any potential risks of a rack collapsing.This tool can be used to assess rack components, such as frames, beams, and braces, and determine the level of risks through the traffic light system. Regular racking inspections can help prevent serious injuries and fatalities from rack collapses.
This video shows what can go horribly wrong when warehouse racks fail.
This video shows what can go horribly wrong when warehouse racks fail. This article covers: (1) OSHA and HSE racking inspection guidelines; (2) the “traffic light system”; (3) technology to streamline racking inspection processes; and (4) digital racking inspection checklist templates you can download and customize.
OSHA Racking Inspection Guidelines
OSHA is an agency of the United States Department of Labor division. Its sole purpose is to keep workplaces and workers safe. There are no specific guidelines for a warehouse racking safety checklist, however, OSHA’s general clause covers safety regulations to keep workplaces safe. Here are 3 standards that address common concerns in pallet racking, storage, as well as the operation space for safe maneuvering of forklifts:
- 1910.176(a) – This covers the usage of mechanical equipment. OSHA requires proper handling of mechanical equipment, sufficient safe clearances, and proper markings for permanent aisles and passageways.
- 1910.176(b) – This standard requires a proper storage system or procedure in the workplace to avoid hazards. According to the regulation, bags, containers, bundles, etc. should be stored in tiers, stacked, blocked, interlocked, and limited in height so that they are stable and safe, with little to no chance of sliding or collapse.
- 1910.176(c) – This standard focuses on proper housekeeping of storage areas. It requires storage areas to be free from materials that can cause hazards such as tripping, fire, explosion, or pest harborage.
Understanding the Traffic Light System
A racking inspection checklist details exactly which components of the racking system an inspector should be looking at—frames, beams, and braces. The traffic light system is used to measure the damage severity and indicate the risk level. Each color corresponds to a required action for record-keeping and monitoring.
What is iAuditor and how can I use it for Racking Inspections?
Rack inspectors can take advantage of mobile technology such as iAuditor to streamline racking inspections and reporting. iAuditor is the world’s #1 inspection software and can be used by rack inspectors to:
- Perform efficient racking inspections on a mobile device
- Gather photo evidence of damaged warehouse racks
- Create traffic light system-based actions with colleagues or superiors
- Automatically generate and share reports as you complete an inspection
Top 3 Racking Inspection Checklists
Racking Inspection Checklist
A racking inspection checklist aims to identify exactly which components of warehouse racks are damaged using the traffic light system. Instantly assign corrective actions to address health and safety risks with the use of this checklist. The template is designed to easily perform the following:
- Specify the location of the damaged racking
- Measure the damage and risk level based on the traffic light system
- Assign actions with annotated photos and additional notes
- Provide recommendations for future inspections
- Validate the inspection with digital signatures
Pallet Racking Inspection Checklist
A pallet racking inspection is a systematic process to ascertain that warehouse pallet racks are in good working condition. This pallet racking inspection checklist includes pallet specifications, rack components, damage guidelines and risk assessment based on the traffic light system. Perform pallet racking inspections to prioritize safe storage practices and extend the lifespan of pallets.
Warehouse Safety Checklist
This warehouse safety checklist aims to assess potential risks observed during warehouse operations. It also focuses on evaluating warehouse safety training programs and the implementation of emergency and safety procedures. If defects are identified, the inspector can add recommendations and actions to prioritize overall safety in the warehouse premises.