Published November 16th, 2020
What is a Quality Audit?
A quality audit is a systematic evaluation of products and services as well as business processes and systems used for production. It helps ensure that current quality is at par with set standards. A quality audit helps in the implementation of a sound quality management system (GMS) and in meeting ISO 9001 requirements.
3 Types of Audits
Industries use a variety of quality audits depending on the intent and what is being audited, but they can typically be classified under three categories:
- Internal Quality Audit – Sometimes called self-assessment or first-party audit, this is done by businesses to check the quality of their own processes and products. Internal audits can help discover process gaps and aid in the continuous improvement of quality management;
- External Audit – Called second-party audits, this type of audit helps businesses check the quality of supplies or raw materials received from vendors. The quality of supplies used for production need to be checked in order to maintain the expected quality of the end product; and
- Third-Party Audit – Conducted by an objective auditing body usually hired by a business to check it’s own quality. Third-party audits are typically intended for quality management system certifications like ISO 9001 or checking for compliance with government regulations.
What is a Quality Audit Checklist?
A quality audit checklist is a tool that guides quality managers, inspectors, or any assigned person to inspect products or business procedures to assess the performance of established processes and identify any underlying issues that require corrective actions. Performing regular quality audits can help boost business efficiency and improve business strategies. Preview a quality audit report sample.
The Challenge and Solution for Quality Audits
It is tedious and time-consuming to measure the current quality of processes, systems, and products and maintain a standard of quality across an organization if audits are paper-based. iAuditor, the world’s #1 mobile quality management system software, can eliminate the dependence on paper-based audits and help streamline the auditing process. With paperless audits, you can automatically collect and review measurable results and observe quality trends on an online dashboard. Save time from collecting & analyzing data and spend more effort and energy on improving quality.
We have carefully created 4 digital quality audit templates below that you can browse and download with iAuditor:
4 Featured Quality Audit Templates
ISO 9001:2015 Internal Quality Audit Checklist
An internal quality audit checklist is used to find gaps in implementing a Quality Management System (QMS). Quality managers can use this as a guide to assess the current QMS of the company and prepare for ISO 9001:2015 certification. The template is built to guide the inspector in performing the following:
- Check the company’s current standing on QMS regarding Context of the Organization, Leadership, Planning, Support, Operation, Performance Evaluation, and Improvement.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and help decide which areas to prioritize.
- Conduct regular audits to check the progress of QMS towards third-party certification for ISO 9001.
The completed sample report below provides an example of the type of internal quality audit report that can be generated instantly using the iAuditor mobile app.
GMP Compliance Checklist
A GMP compliance audit checklist assesses manufacturing practices and company adherence to manufacturing protocols. This template can be used by site managers or operations supervisors to help ensure that quality manufacturing standards are met. Use this template for help with the following:
- Check the manufacturing site’s buildings and facilities, materials management, quality control systems, manufacturing, QMS, personnel, etc.
- Take photo evidence with your mobile during the audit to better explain and correct the non-compliance.
- Results of audits are automatically compiled and scores or trends in quality are viewable on an online dashboard.
Call Center Quality Assurance Form
A Call Center Quality Assurance Form is used to measure the quality of customer interaction in call centers. The QA Manager or QA Trainer can use this to check the competency of representatives and help ensure that the call quality is consistent. This QA form is a guide to help with:
- Auditing the overall customer experience during the call.
- Providing details about a representative’s areas for improvement.
- Signing off with the call QA and call representative’s signatures.
Food Manufacturing Audit
This GMP audit checklist for food manufacturers is based on 21 CFR Part 110 and can be used as a guide when conducting food manufacturing audits. Inspectors can use this to:
- Check the overall condition of the food manufacturing facility, staff, equipment, and processes.
- Conduct audits on multiple sites/departments and the results can be viewed on one platform.
- iAuditor templates can be edited according to business needs.