What is ISO 14001?
ISO 14001 is an international standard in designing and implementing environmental management systems (EMS) that organizations can voluntarily certify for. ISO 14001 certification enhances green credentials, which subsequently boosts business image, improves cost control, and reduces accidents or incidents caused by environmental factors.
This article briefly discusses: 1) implementation steps for ISO 14001 using the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle; 2) free downloadable ISO 14001:2018 templates, and 3) technology to help you streamline ISO reporting and compliance.
Click here to download free & customizable ISO 14001 templates
Implementing ISO 14001 using the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle
The Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle (PDCA) organizes EMS processes and helps organizations follow the standard in proper order during implementation of ISO 14001. The PDCA cycle can be simplified into 3 easy-to-follow steps. Below are the different processes, together with the steps they entail:
PLAN: planning environmental performance evaluation by selecting relevant indicators. The planning step entails the following:
- Read and understand the standard ISO 14001:2015 and prepare legal requirements.
- Conduct an ISO readiness test or self-assessment to identify gaps in your current system and processes.
- Develop an implementation plan using the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle
- Define your organization’s competency and training requirements for ISO 14001:2018
- Ensure competence needs are met and that all parties involved are kept in the loop.
DO: collecting and analyzing data, assessing information, and reporting results.
- Operate the planned EMS and operational controls.
CHECK & ACT: review and improve overall environmental performance.
iAuditor as an ISO 14001 Auditing Tool
Paper-based audits can be burdensome and time-consuming. Replace your paper audits with a digital auditing app to save more time and increase productivity. iAuditor, the world’s most powerful mobile inspection app, can help you perform better internal ISO audits, monitor EMS activities, and track your organization’s environmental performance. iAuditor lets you:
- ✔ Create mobile-ready ISO checklists
- ✔ Empower teams to conduct efficient monitoring procedures and analysis using a smartphone or tablet
- ✔ Save hours in report-creation with a mobile app that generates comprehensive reports as you finish an audit
- ✔ Create & assign corrective actions for issues found on EMS activities during audit
- ✔ Save all reports online and automatically share it with members of your organization. Preview a sample report.
- ✔ Use for free with small teams. Unlimited reports and storage for premium accounts
Here is a collection of our carefully prepared workplace safety checklists you can browse and use as part of achieving ISO 14001 certification and ongoing compliance.
Try iAuditor ISO 14001 Audit App for Free
ISO 14001 Templates
Audit your Environmental Management System (EMS) for compliance with ISO 14001:2015. Use this checklist to perform an internal audit to ensure that your current EMS meets the ISO standards. Start by determining if general requirements and policies were defined to provide a framework for setting objectives and targets. Also, evaluate if this policy was documented, implemented, and communicated to all workers. Use iAuditor to identify non-conformances and assign actions to managers and supervisors for immediate correction.
This EMS Monitoring Plan Template is used to identify key characteristics of operations and activities that can have significant environmental impact and/or compliance consequences. Use this checklist to develop measurement controls to prevent the likelihood of potential environmental hazards. This template is designed to capture the following information:
- Significant Aspect: operation equipment or activities that can have significant environmental impact
- Risk Level: the risk severity level an environmental aspect poses
- Monitoring & Measurement: type of monitoring activity/planned inspection process
- Corrective Measures: Controls or corrective actions to implement
- Supporting Photos: ability to attach supporting photos to template
Preview Web Report
Preview Sample Report
General Safety Monitoring Checklists
This ISO 14001 self-assessment checklist can be used to check significant environmental aspects which need monitoring and focus. It can help businesses gain self-awareness to further improve their environmental management system. This checklist covers the evaluation of air emissions, waste and water management systems, handling and storage, soil and groundwater protection, noise control, and other environmental impacts. Capture photo evidence of any issues identified during the inspection and generate reports on the spot using iAuditor.
This readiness checklist covers ISO 14001 clauses 4 to 10 and is used as a preparatory inspection for ISO 14001:2015 certification. The checklist includes evaluation of the context of the organization, planning procedures and targets, leadership effectivity, and so on. Use iAuditor to prepare your business for the ISO 14001 certification through iAuditor’s Analytics feature. Analytics is a powerful tool to track your processes by getting the most out of your collected data. Determine which outstanding items and areas you need to focus on and the necessary actions to address these concerns.