Anticipate and mitigate potential workplace safety risks before commissioning a facility.
What is a PSSR?
A Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR) is a thorough safety inspection of a new or modified manufacturing plant or facility conducted before its commissioning. Sometimes called operational readiness review, a PSSR is conducted using a PSSR checklist with the intent of ensuring that the facility is safe for employees and that equipment installed will operate according to design specifications.
This article will briefly discuss the scope of a PSSR; how to conduct a PSSR; technology for a successful PSSR; and PSSR checklists you can use for free.
Scope of a PSSR
A PSSR covers multiple aspects of the workplace as a whole and ensures the existence of procedures that promote a safe working environment. Here is the scope of a PSSR divided into the 3 main workplace factors:
A PSSR aims to confirm that the facility is both safe for and conducive to work. It checks the facility’s electrical safety, ergonomics, control of noise and fire hazards, existing confined spaces, waste management, and environmental management.
PSSR checks for procedures such as lockout/tagout and the existence of machine guarding or fall protection measures to control workplace risks. It also helps verify if the training was provided on the proper use of new or modified equipment and if potential risks that may arise from the use of new equipment are mitigated.
PSSR checks if the organization provides employee training on safe operating procedures such as using PPE, handling of chemicals and hazardous substances, as well as food safety practices.
How to Conduct a PSSR
PSSR procedures will vary depending on the facility and industry. In order to conduct one that is relevant and effective for a new or modified facility, the following steps should be followed:
Build a team and select a leader
A multidisciplinary team composed of staff with authority on engineering, operations, quality, safety, and security can help identify areas for improvement in the facility and assist in carrying out an effective PSSR. The PSSR team should be led by an authority in the organization who can delay the commissioning of a facility should the team discover sufficient risks that can compromise workplace safety.
Create a PSSR checklist
Creating a PSSR checklist will need the collaborative effort of the PSSR team members who will specify which aspects of the workplace should be checked, with particular consideration to the facility, equipment, employees, and operational processes.
Use the right tools
The PSSR team should be able to capture data on any areas for improvement identified during a PSSR and be able to quickly implement corrective actions. Delays in addressing safety issues will not only expose employees to potential workplace hazards but can also lead to costly delays in the commissioning of a facility.
Technology for Conducting a PSSR
A PSSR promotes safety in the workplace by promptly catching safety issues and addressing them before the official start of operations. iAuditor, the world’s most powerful mobile inspection app, can help the PSSR team conduct an effective PSSR and address workplace safety issues by allowing team members to do the following:
- Create mobile-ready PSSR checklists.
- Empower PSSR team members to conduct efficient PSSRs using a smartphone or tablet.
- Capture photos of safety issues and make notes relevant to items on the PSSR checklist.
- Assign corrective actions for issues found during a PSSR.
- Save time and effort on documentation using a mobile app that generates comprehensive reports.
- Secure all reports online and automatically share them within the PSSR team.
- Maintain compliance with industry standards and legal requirements by conducting regular inspections once a facility is in operation.
- Use iAuditor Analytics to determine safety trends in operations.
- Use for free with small teams. Unlimited reports and storage for premium accounts.
Download Free & Customizable PSSR Checklists
1. PSSR Checklist
A pre-startup safety review (PSSR) checklist is a tool used by a PSSR team during a safety review of a new or modified manufacturing facility before commissioning. This checklist helps ensure that a facility will be safe for employees and that equipment will operate according to design specifications. With iAuditor, the PSSR team can:
- Use mobile devices to capture photos and make notes of workplace safety risks.
- Immediately address issues by assigning corrective actions and receive real-time status updates.
- Monitor the progress of PSSRs.
- Help ensure that the facility meets industry standards and complies with legal requirements on occupational health and safety.
- Customize checklist templates to fit the needs of your organization’s PSSR. (This PSSR checklist uses a food manufacturing facility as a sample scenario.)
2. Pre-Startup Safety Review Template
This comprehensive PSSR checklist uses Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory-N/A response set to help the PSSR team determine the workplace safety of any facility in any industry. Customize this digitized template according to your industry’s standards and legal requirements.
3. Pre-Startup Safety Review Checklist
Use this general PSSR checklist to determine workplace safety before commissioning a manufacturing facility. This digitized checklist can be edited to fit your PSSR needs.
4. Risk Assessment Template
A risk assessment template helps engineers and safety officers mitigate risks posed by new equipment or processes in the workplace. Use this bonus template to help promote safer facilities.