Heavy Vehicle Inspection Templates
All heavy motor vehicles should undergo regular self-inspections to ensure that all parts and accessories are safe to use and road-worthy. Regular self-inspections can prepare businesses for annual inspections, including
from the Department of Transportation (DOT). Regular driver training, drug and alcohol testing and keeping
up-to-date accident registers can help prevent future road accidents.
Using a mobile inspection app like iAuditor can help you streamline your reporting, capture better data and identify
problems before they occur. Get started by downloading these free sample checklists.
Getting ready for DOT vehicle inspections
Most commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) weighing over 10,000 pounds have to undergo an annual DOT inspection. These inspections
are carried out by qualified DOT inspectors who check all CMVs on the road are safe and in good working condition and that
the business has proper record keeping processes in place. An inspection can cover the following items:
Start performing digital inspections
- Vehicle inspection walk-around or complete vehicle check
- Documentation of coverage in place for the type of carrier and cargo
- Driver licenses, qualifications, drug and alcohol testing
- Evaluation of driver logs and inspection records
- Maintained accident record register