Published 6 Jan 2023
What is a Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist?
A vacation rental cleaning checklist is a template that vacation property owners can use to assess the orderliness of their rental space. It lets them check spots that require deep cleaning and inspect damaged areas that need repair. Creating this checklist ensures that the rental space is in good condition before the guests arrive and after they leave.
This vacation rental cleaning checklist is a tool used to inspect the cleanliness of vacation homes. It contains six sections that streamline the cleaning process for housekeepers and property owners. With SafetyCulture (iAuditor), you can do the following actions:
- Take photo evidence of the vacation home’s condition.
- Record low supplies in real-time.
- Flag damaged areas anytime, anywhere.
- Assign the right person to get the job done.
In this article
- Why Should I Have One?
- Important Areas to Include in a Vacation Rental Checklist Template
- 5 Must-Haves of a Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist
- Perform Efficient Vacation Rental Inspections with a Checklist
- Free Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklists
Why Should I Have One?
Maintaining a vacation lodging requires extra effort from any property owner. A vacation rental cleaning checklist is a powerful tool to streamline this tedious process.
First, having a checklist on hand provides owners and housekeeping teams with a structure to proceed with the cleaning plans. The cleaning process becomes less daunting if owners plan out the tasks. Moreover, a checklist allows a clear vision of cleaning the space without missing any vital spots or hidden corners.
By keeping vacation rental homes tidy, owners can have spaces to impress the guests. It shows them that their needs are taken care of during their stay. Travelers can look forward to a safe, well-kept place to relax in for their vacation.
Lastly, maintaining a high standard for cleanliness brings peace of mind to guests. It assures them of the owner’s commitment to COVID-19 safety and customer experience. Property owners and housekeeping teams can bring their best foot forward with a proper cleaning system using a vacation rental checklist template.
Important Areas to Include in a Vacation Rental Checklist Template
A thoroughly neat space makes a big difference to guest satisfaction. However, it’s easy to miss certain blind spots around each nook and cranny of the property. For example, dirt and cobwebs can accumulate in ceiling fans and wall corners. A checklist helps the cleaners keep track of these surfaces and ensure they’re tidied up.
Start building a customized checklist with these common areas to look out for when cleaning a vacation rental home:
When entering a vacation home, guests often draw their eyes to the living room first. After all, this is the place where they’ll lounge around after a long day of travel. Make a lasting impression with a well-kept, pristine living room.
- Vacuum the floor.
- Lift area rugs while cleaning the floor.
- Check for dirt, dust, and missing items under furniture items.
- Inspect in between and under the couch.
- Dust the lamps, bookshelves, and ceiling fans.
- Disinfect and wipe the TV screen and remote controls.
- Disinfect light switches, doorknobs, and coffee tables.
A fully-furnished kitchen is one of the biggest perks that guests expect in a vacation rental home. Hearty meals and bonding moments often begin at this place, so make every moment count by tidying up this area from the inside out.
- Clear the dishes and silverware.
- Double-check the counter and plates for any food remains.
- Clean dirty pans and kitchen utensils.
- Wipe and disinfect the stovetop and counter.
- Clean out the microwave.
- Check if food items are still safe to eat.
- Throw out any spoiled food items and used containers.
- Throw away and replace dirty garbage bags.
- Replenish condiments, oils, spices, and other food items as needed.
- Restock on sponges, kitchen towels, and other cleaning supplies.
After a long day of roaming around, guests can look forward to a good night’s sleep with a comfortable bedroom. Help guests relax with a tranquil, tidy resting place.
- Wash and replace used sheets, linens, and comforters.
- Dust and sanitize cabinets, drawers, and other furniture items.
- Air out the surface of area rugs.
- Empty the wastebasket.
- Polish the floors and windows.
Since the bathroom is where guests wash and clean, it’s only natural to expect it to be clean as well. Keep the bathroom area in mint condition with the following tips:
- Check drains and sinks for hair, clogs, or any damage.
- Scrub and sanitize bathtubs, showers, toilets, and sinks.
- Wipe mirrors and windows.
- Pat the rugs or bath mats clean.
- Stock up on bath essentials (e.g., shampoo, soap, conditioner).
- Replace waste bins if they’re full.
Guests who engage in active outdoor activities will need to clean their clothes after their trips. A neat, well-stocked laundry room can help them wash off the dirt and grime from their apparel.
Upgrade your laundry room with these tips:
- Cleanse the detergent tray.
- Remove stains and spills from the washing machine.
- Sanitize the buttons and knobs of the washing machine.
- Sweep the laundry room floor.
- Check if laundry baskets are ready to use.
- Replenish laundry detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets as needed.
- Check the labels of the laundry supplies.
Patios, Porches, and Outdoors
After a filling dinner, guests typically hang out by the patio and savor the fresh air outside. Moreover, some vacation properties also include lawns perfect for barbecues, picnics, and other outdoor activities.
Maintain the vacation rental’s exterior in mint condition with the following tips:
- Sweep the outdoor patio.
- Check if the exterior furniture is in good condition.
- Sanitize railings, tables, chairs, and other shared spaces.
- Dust and clean up shoe racks, if any.
5 Must-Haves of a Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist
With so many templates online and so many tasks to complete, it can be challenging to draft a cohesive checklist covering everything for the vacation rental space.
To make things easier, here are a few things to expect when making a vacation rental checklist template:
- List of Areas. Begin by organizing the space into different areas such as the living room, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, and so forth. Include the hidden corners that housekeepers can easily miss when cleaning.
- List of Tasks. Divide the tasks per area. For example, when listing down chores for the living room, add vacuuming the floors and wiping the windows.
- Vacation Rental Inventory. The checklist should also include the items that need to be restocked frequently, such as bed sheets, linens, towels, and more.
- Damaged Items. Keep track of any damaged items or areas in the vacation rental property. It should indicate the damaged item, its location, the time it was seen, and a photo for documentation. This way, the items can be repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
- Signature of the Inspector. A digital signature completes the form and holds the inspector responsible for the check.
Perform Efficient Vacation Rental Inspections with a Checklist
Inspecting your vacation rental space becomes easier with SafetyCulture. This powerful tool offers an array of free checklists that you can edit and use to perform vacation rental cleaning tasks. With an organized checklist, you can easily keep track of your vacation rental property’s condition.
With SafetyCulture, you can find all the tools you need and more in your handheld device, such as:
- Download, edit and customize pre-made templates for your property.
- Assign a person or groups of people to conduct vacation rental inspections.
- Capture and send photo evidence of the vacation home’s condition.
- Raise an action or flag an issue to repair, replace, or restock items.
- Send completed checklists for review in real-time.
- Access checklist results anytime, anywhere in a cloud-based space.
- Sign off easily with digital signatures.
Free Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklists
This comprehensive, easy-to-use checklist helps vacation rental owners keep track of items in their inventory. Log items daily, weekly, and monthly and easily monitor if supplies are running low. Customize the template according to your needs. Make sure these items are in stock with a digital vacation rental inventory checklist.
Property managers and owners use this tool to record and evaluate the condition of their rental properties. It ensures that these spaces are in mint condition before, during, and after a tenant’s occupation. Capture photo evidence of the property’s condition anytime, anywhere. Report damage to appropriate personnel by creating and assigning actions.
A cleaning schedule checklist is a tool that assists housekeeping staff in their cleaning process. Ensure that cleaning jobs are completed on time with an organized flow of tasks. Communicate damage to colleagues in real-time with the Heads Up feature. It’s flexible for all kinds of establishments, whether it's an office, hotel, restaurant, or private home.
A bathroom cleaning checklist guides cleaning staff in keeping bathrooms clean according to industry-specific standards. It also lets managers evaluate if the cleaning personnel complies with the standard cleanliness procedures. They can also use this template to assess the overall orderliness of bathrooms.