Digital Pre-trip Inspection Checklists
Conveniently monitor truck fleets and ensure daily pre-trip inspections
Proactively reduce risks and prevent disruptions to fleet operation
What is a Pre-trip Inspection?
A pre-trip inspection is a federally mandated inspection of a vehicle done daily within a 24-hour driving period to ensure its roadworthiness. Conducted by a driver using a pre-trip inspection checklist, daily pre-trip inspections are designed to proactively catch vehicular issues, avoid unscheduled disruptions to fleet operation, and lower the risk of road incidents.
Failure to conduct pre-trip inspections not only puts the driver and the general public in danger, but can also result in fines, hit on the driver’s record, and damage company reputation.
This article features (1) the top reasons why pre-trip inspections are not properly conducted; (2) a digital tool that can help fleet managers better monitor truck fleets and encourage drivers to consistently conduct proper pre-trip inspections; and (3) free digital pre-trip inspection checklists you can browse and download for free.
Top Reasons Pre-trip Inspections are Neglected
Pre-trip inspections are vital in proactively maintaining the safety of vehicles on the road. Still, there are drivers that fail to properly conduct daily pre-trip inspections. Here are the main reasons why:
1. They are time-consuming
There are truck drivers that rush through completing pre-trip inspections, if at all. Conducting thorough truck inspection–checking the engine compartment, lights, coupling system, tires, fuel tank, fire extinguisher, etc.–can last 30-50 minutes. Completing it before driving can feel like time could have been better spent on the road.
2. They are inconvenient
A full vehicle inspection, especially that of a truck, means having to thoroughly inspect all important parts and equipment and documenting any issues with supporting information before submitting reports for corrective action. All these steps in documentation may feel like extra tasks to be completed in addition to the routine pre-trip inspection.
3. They involve lots of paperwork
Pre-trip inspections mean paper checklists to fill out and other paperwork to complete and submit daily. The time and effort spent on documentation can be burdensome to truck drivers, not to mention the cost of constantly maintaining paper documentation, which accumulates in time, especially for larger fleets.
Digital Tool for Managing Truck Fleets
Fleet managers need to make sure that all vehicles in operation are safe to avoid accidents on the road and minimize disruption to the business. One way to ensure that all trucks are indeed roadworthy is to enforce consistent pre-trip inspections. iAuditor, the world’s most powerful mobile inspection app, can help fleet managers monitor the operation of fleets and encourage truck drivers to not only complete pre-trip checklists, but also, more importantly, to properly conduct vehicle inspections daily. With iAuditor on mobile devices, you are empowered to:
- Schedule pre-trip inspections and be notified of missed/incomplete inspections..
- Use the mobile app to take photos and create annotations to better describe identified issues.
- Proactively address urgent issues and receive updates on assigned corrective actions.
- Save time and reduce costs by automatically generating paperless reports on the spot. Preview a sample web and PDF report.
- Know how long pre-trip inspections are conducted using time stamps.
- Use geotagging to know where inspections are done.
- Have the option to activate automatic notifications if a vehicle is deemed unsafe.
- Use for free with small teams/fleets. Unlimited reports and storage for premium accounts.
The Best Digital Pre-trip Inspection Checklists
Pre-trip Inspection Checklist
A pre-trip inspection checklist is a tool used by drivers in conducting a thorough inspection of vehicles to catch issues that may deem the vehicle unfit for operation. Use this digitized pre-trip inspection checklist before operating trucks to lower the risk of road incidents and conform with regulations. With the iAuditor mobile app, you can:
- Ensure that all items are checked when conducting pre-trip inspections.
- Be aware when a pre-trip inspection is due.
- Take photos of issues and submit reports using your mobile device.
- Automatically organize inspection reports for easy reference.
- Customize iAuditor checklist templates to fit the needs of your business.
Heavy Vehicle Inspection Checklist
Use this heavy vehicle inspection checklist to proactively identify issues with heavy vehicles in preparation for annual vehicle inspections.
Vehicle Inspection Checklist
This generic vehicle inspection checklist can help fleet managers and safety officers inspect any vehicle used in the fleet. iAuditor templates can be shared to teams of inspectors anytime anywhere.
Bonus! Vehicle Accident Report Template
Use this vehicle accident report template to document incidents and identify the root cause. Capture photo evidence to better describe what happened.