What is an ISO 27001 Checklist?
An ISO 27001 checklist is a tool used to determine if an organization meets the requirements of the international standard for implementing an effective Information Security Management System (ISMS). Information security officers use ISO 27001 audit checklists to assess gaps in their organization's ISMS and to evaluate the readiness of their organization for third party ISO 27001 certification audits.
An ISMS is the systematic management of information in order to maintain its confidentiality, integrity, and availability to stakeholders. Getting certified for ISO 27001 means that an organization’s ISMS is aligned with international standards. An organization that does not intend to get certified but still complies with the ISO 27001 framework can benefit from the best practices of managing information security.
This article covers: (1) 7 practical tips for implementing an ISO 27001-aligned ISMS and preparing for certification; and (2) technology you can use to help implement and maintain ISO 27001 certification.
Click here to go straight to the ISO 27001 checklists you can browse and download for free.
7 Practical Tips for Implementing ISMS for ISO 27001 Certification
It takes a lot of time and effort to properly implement an effective ISMS and more so to get it ISO 27001 certified. Here are some practical tips on how to implement an ISMS and get ready for certification:
- Review processes and ISO 27001 - Become familiar with the international standard for ISMS and know how your organization currently manages information security.
- Get employee buy-in - Help employees understand the importance of ISMS and get their commitment to help improve the system.
- Conduct risk assessments - Determine the vulnerabilities and threats to your organization’s information security system and assets by conducting regular information security risk assessments.
- Implement controls - Information security risks discovered during risk assessments can lead to costly incidents if not mitigated in a timely manner.
- Conduct gap analysis - Use an ISO 27001 checklist to assess your processes and new controls implemented to determine other gaps that can be corrected.
- Internal audits and employee training - Regular internal audits can help proactively catch non-compliance and aid in continuously improving information security management. Employee training can also help reinforce best practices.
- Prepare for the certification - Prepare your ISMS documentation and contact a reliable third-party auditor to get certified for ISO 27001.
Technology to Help Streamline ISMS
Getting certified for ISO 27001 requires documentation of your ISMS and proof of the processes implemented and continuous improvement practices followed. An organization that is heavily dependent on paper-based systems will find it challenging and time-consuming to organize and keep track of documentation needed as proof of ISO 27001 compliance.
iAuditor, the world’s most powerful mobile auditing app, can help information security officers and IT professionals streamline the implementation of an ISMS and proactively catch information security gaps. Conduct ISO 27001 gap analyses and information security risk assessments anytime and include photo evidence using handheld devices. Automate documentation of audit reports and secure data in the cloud. Observe trends via an online platform as you improve ISMS and work towards ISO 27001 certification.
To save you time, we have prepared these digital ISO 27001 checklists that you can download and customize to fit your business needs.