Published 3 May 2022
What is SOP in Housekeeping?
A housekeeping SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) is a documented, step-by-step process on how to effectively perform housekeeping procedures, such as daily cleaning and maintenance tasks. SOP in housekeeping is primarily used by hotel housekeeping supervisors to help maids and commercial cleaners observe housekeeping standards, deliver consistent quality service, and support positive reviews.
A Housekeeping SOP Checklist is used as a guide to ensure that the standard cleaning protocols set by an establishment are followed. This checklist can be used by housekeepers, cleaners, and housekeeping managers to ensure that rooms are clean and adequately prepared before allowing the next guest to check in.
- Ensure that doors, lights, windows, and amenities are working properly.
- Check if the room and bathroom is clean and toiletries and other necessities are provided for the next guest.
- Confirm that hotel brochures, along with the hotel's food and drink menu is available.
- Sign-off with a digital signature from inspector or assigned housekeeper.
- Share reports by exporting as PDF, Word, Excel or Web Link.
This article will briefly discuss:
- the importance and benefits
- best housekeeping SOP’s for hotels;
- housekeeping SOPs in other industries;
- technology you can use to ensure compliance; and
- housekeeping SOP checklists you can download, use, and customize.
Housekeeping SOPs are critical because they uphold the standards of an organization’s housekeeping procedures. The benefits of having cleaning standard operating procedures include:
- Continuous Education – It can be used as a teaching tool to educate workers on the correct housekeeping procedures and keep them updated regarding any process changes.
- Accountability – SOPs in housekeeping encourage compliance with organizational standards through accountability. They provide intuitive, easy-to-follow steps to avoid any discrepancy or misunderstanding.
- Branding – Maintaining high standards of housekeeping procedures is the first step toward maintaining credibility with customers by providing a consistent customer experience.
- Improved compliance rates – Clear and defined housekeeping SOPs help ensure that an organization’s processes comply with health and safety laws.
Housekeeping procedures (SOPs) are particularly important in the hospitality industry as cleanliness is a basic expectation of any hotel guest. A hotel housekeeping standard for cleaning rooms upon check out, for example, helps ensure that the housekeeper always changes the bedsheets and empties the trash bins before allowing the next guest to check in.
Well-implemented hotel housekeeping SOPs can help establish a welcoming atmosphere for the guests and ensure reliable and courteous service from staff. Here are some of the best hotel SOPs for three of the most common housekeeping room status:
- Room for Check-In
These are standard housekeeping procedures for hotel staff when preparing rooms for new set of guests:
- Make bed with fresh linen and pillow cases.
- Check power switches and other electronic appliances for any damages.
- Clean up ashtrays and trash bins.
- Restock desk stationery and vanity supplies
- Clean the bathroom: floor, walls, toilet, shower area, and tub.
Perform the following sample proper housekeeping procedures for an occupied room and use the housekeeping SOP checklist to record task completion:
- Clear the dustbins.
- Collect and replace used bedroom and bathroom linen.
- Make the bed.
- Vacuum floor carpets and rugs.
- Clean the bathroom and replenish bathroom supplies.
- Room for Check-out
It can be used as a teaching tool to educate workers on the correct housekeeping procedures and keep them updated regarding any process changes.
- Assemble bed, chairs, settees, and other furniture and placing it appropriately.
- Wipe guest room floor with a wet mop.
- Cleaning the writing tables, assembling and placing stationery appropriately.
- Check for any articles the guest left behind.
- Clean bathroom equipment and ensure adequate supply of toiletries according to SOPs for bathroom cleaning.
- Clean all electric appliances such as microwave, fan, refrigerator, and others.
Housekeeping SOP is not limited to hotels, it also applies across other industries such as manufacturing, medical, education, construction, and others. It helps maintain a safe and secure environment not just for customers but for employees as well. Here’s how housekeeping SOP helps the following businesses:
Housekeeping SOP for Hospitals
A hospital housekeeping SOP aims to maintain a sterile environment in all areas of the hospital. It guides cleaning personnel in prioritizing the task to maintain high standards of cleanliness especially in the crucial areas including high-touch surfaces and high-risk areas.
Housekeeping SOP for Restaurants
A restaurant housekeeping SOP ensures high standard cleaning operations to avoid food contamination and foodborne illnesses. It helps restaurants build exceptional ambiance and cleanliness to impress their clients.
Housekeeping SOP for Warehouses
A warehouse housekeeping SOP helps maintain a clean workplace that is free of debris and clutter to keep a safe environment. It helps prevent workplace hazards including incidents, near misses and injuries.
Housekeeping SOP for Public Areas
A public area housekeeping SOP helps maintain a safe and hygienic community. It ensures proper waste management is in place to eliminate environmental pollution and pathogenic diseases.
With dozens of rooms to service and multiple housekeeping tasks to perform for each one, there is a chance that housekeepers may miss critical SOP points. With iAuditor by SafetyCulture, a web and mobile inspection app, housekeeping supervisors can strengthen compliance with housekeeping standards and enjoy the following benefits:
- Use this checklist technology for hotels to develop paperless housekeeping SOP checklists for a variety of tasks
- Confirm compliance with housekeeping procedures on handheld devices
- Capture photo evidence of compliance and non-compliance for reporting
- Update housekeeping SOP templates without the hassle of paper printing
- Capture electronic signatures for sign off
- Enable cleaners to save time and send auto-generated reports on accomplished housekeeping SOP (PDF, Word, CSV, or JSON)
- Submit housekeeping SOP reports to your supervisor anytime, anywhere
- Secure all SOPs and reports via unlimited cloud storage
To help get you started, we have created 6 of the best housekeeping SOP checklists you can download, use, and customize for your purpose.
Top 6 SOP Checklists
This comprehensive checklist can be used by supervisors to check the duties of the housekeeper and evaluate their adherence to housekeeping SOPs. It can also be utilized to verify if hotel staff and amenities comply with hotel safety regulations and housekeeping standards. This checklist converted using iAuditor uses dynamic field feature which allows you to label or identify individual rooms and conduct inspections with specific recurring questions.
Housekeepers and cleaners can use this Bathroom Cleaning SOP Checklist as a step-by-step guide to the proper process for cleaning bathroom tiles, mirrors, and drains. This tool can help housekeeping managers train staff and ensure strict compliance to SOPs for bathroom cleaning.
Foodservice employees can use this SOP checklist to ensure that kitchen equipment and kitchenware are cleaned and sanitized before and after use to avoid foodborne illnesses and allergies.
This General Kitchen Cleaning Checklist can help maintain a clean and sanitized restaurant. Conduct your inspections using this checklist to evaluate if employees wear hygienic clothing and if food is properly handled. This also checks if kitchen facilities are cleaned and sanitized properly after use, and waste materials are segregated and properly disposed of. Provide your recommendations and overall assessment after the inspection. Use iAuditor on your mobile device to generate on-site reports and capture photo evidence of defective items.
Housekeepers and cleaners can use this Corridor Cleaning and Maintenance SOP checklist as a step-by-step guide to the proper process of sweeping, dusting, and cleaning the hotel and office corridors.