Published 31 Jan 2023
What is a Gemba Walk Checklist?
A gemba walk checklist is a tool used by management leaders to capture first-hand observations of what is exactly going on at the actual place where work happens. It helps document insights from discussions with employees and serves as a reference tool on how to improve processes and reduce existing waste.
A general gemba walk checklist is a tool used by leaders to explore the workplace and gain first-hand insight into themes such as safety, productivity, cost efficiency, etc. It helps management determine if work processes are performed according to standards and come up with ways to improve them if possible. Utilize this gemba walk form by following the points below:
- Describe work processes and list down name of participants
- Ask employees about the challenges they face on a regular basis
- Collaborate with employees on addressing said challenges
- Add comments and recommendations
- Sign off with digital signature from manager
- Use the auto-generated gemba walk report for discussions with the quality circle
In this article
- What is the purpose of Gemba walks?
- 3 Elements of an Effective Gemba Walk
- SafetyCulture Marketplace: Your One-Stop Work Gear & Equipment Shop
- Equip Gemba walk participants with a Gemba Walk App
- Featured Gemba Walk Checklists
What is the purpose of Gemba walks?
The main goal of Gemba walks, which derived from the Japanese word “Gembutsu” (meaning “the actual place”), is to observe, listen, learn, and help. It is an efficient method that enables leaders to know what is and is not working by being with the workers right on the floor, delving into how they approach problem-solving and continuous improvement in everyday work. Gemba walks are structured and performed according to a particular intention (e.g. customer service, standard work, safety, cost efficiency, productivity, creativity, and workspace efficiency).
Further, Gemba walks are also done with the aim to:
- identify issues and gain valuable insights on how to improve them;
- reduce existing waste ( redundancies, bottlenecks, non-value added steps, safety hazards, etc.) and discover where continuous improvement opportunities exist;
- discuss goals and objectives with employees; and
- build stable relationships with those who actually do the work and create value.
3 Elements of an Effective Gemba Walk
As Gemba walks take leaders directly where actual work happens, they become an integral part of continuous improvement initiatives, such as Kaizen events and layered process audits (LPA). It helps them to see and understand processes through the employees that are directly involved in the work.
To achieve an insightful Gemba walk, walkers can follow these three fundamental elements:
1. Go See
Walk around the workplace and observe if processes are done according to standards and if they produce intended results. Participants of the walkthrough can use a Gemba walk checklist to take note of their observations and use it as a reference document during discussions of the Gemba Kaizen circle.
2. Ask Why
Gemba walkers need to probe the value stream thoroughly and identify opportunities for improvement through active communication and listening. Leaders should be sincere and curious on how employees think about their work and solicit recommendations on how to improve it. Techniques such as 5 Why’s can be used to identify problematic areas of a process and ensure that they address root causes of systemic issues.
3. Show Respect
Collaborate with the workers in understanding the challenges and determining how they could be addressed. A gemba walk should focus on the challenges and not on workers’ performance.
SafetyCulture Marketplace: Your One-Stop Work Gear & Equipment Shop
Improve safety in your workplace with SafetyCulture Marketplace as your one-stop shop for all work gear and equipment needs. Get on-demand access to top quality and specialized work gear from trusted equipment brands in the industry—all in one centralized location. Raise the bar of safety and efficiency by empowering employees to request what they need with just a few taps, anytime and anywhere!
Equip Gemba walk participants with a Gemba Walk App
Improve your Gemba walks by using SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor), the world’s #1 inspection app, to streamline data collection and productivity reporting. The Auditor Gemba Walk App enables lead walkers to use Gemba walk checklist templates to have more focused and targeted Gemba walks. The inspection tool also assists participants to easily document their observations and generates comprehensive reports right after Gemba walks. Further, the SafetyCulture Gemba walk app allows you to:
- Digitize Gemba Walk attendance tracking and feedback to ensure continuous improvement compliance
- Customize Gemba walk checklist templates and add interview questions according to your specific theme
- Annotate captured photos of your Gemba walk observations
- Have offline data capture even in remote locations
- Sign-off Gemba walk checklists with digital signatures
- Use all the data that you collected as part of your continuous improvement process
Get started with these free Gemba walk checklist templates you can download and customize for free.
Featured Gemba Walk Checklists
Use this Gemba Walk Template to record observations when performing a walk around the workplace. With the SafetyCulture (iAuditor) Gemba Walk App, managers can use this gemba walk form to cover already identified problems and document recommendations to improve the work process.
A gemba walk interview checklist template, also known as a process walk interview checklist, is a tool used by managers to determine how employees go about a normal workday. Understand what your employees are doing and why they do it and identify challenges. As one of the core principles of kaizen, it places managers in a better position to collaborate with employees and document actions and solutions formulated to solve issues.