Excavation Safety Tips
Excavations and trenching are one of the most hazardous work operations. To protect workers from injuries and fatalities, preventive measures should be implemented when workers begin excavating:
- Inspect trenches daily before work begins. Don’t go near an unprotected trench.
- Check weather conditions before work, be mindful of rain and storms.
- Keep heavy equipment away from trench edges.
- Be mindful of the location of utilities underground.
- Always wear proper protective equipment.
- Don’t work beneath raised loads.
- Conduct atmosphere tests. If low oxygen and toxic gases were detected, workers must not enter the trench.
- Protective systems like benching, sloping, shoring and shielding must be created.
- Planning and implementation of safety measures must be done by a competent person.