Digital DSEAR Risk Assessment Templates
Proactively identify and report workplace safety risks on the spot with a mobile app
What is DSEAR?
The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) 2002 is a UK law that requires employers to control and mitigate workplace risks of fire, explosion, and metal corrosion caused by hazardous substances. Applicable to workplaces where dangerous substances are stored, used, or produced, failure to comply with DSEAR can lead to costly fines and work-related injuries.
This article briefly discusses (1) 5 steps to maintain a safer workplace and comply with DSEAR; (2) technology to help maintain workplace safety; and (3) free DSEAR risk assessment templates.
5 Steps to Maintain a Safer Workplace
To maintain compliance with DSEAR, here are 5 steps to help keep a safer working environment.
- Before commencing with a new work activity or process, conduct a DSEAR risk assessment to discover what substances involved can cause fire, explosion, or metal corrosion. For employers with 5 or more employees, the risk assessment result must be recorded.
- Establish preventive measures to proactively control the identified risks. The goal is to eliminate or minimize the risk.
- Develop procedures in the event of an emergency. Emergency plans and procedures should help minimize the impact of the incident while ensuring the safety of employees.
- Empower employees to help reduce workplace risks through information dissemination, proper employee on-boarding, and training. Knowledge in dealing with risks can further promote workplace safety.
- Reinforce workplace safety through regular safety audits and inspections. Analyze the results to determine if there are areas for improvement and training opportunities.
Technology for Workplace Safety and DSEAR Compliance
The safety officer is tasked to conduct a risk assessment in order to identify and record risks, determine control measures to be implemented, and ensure that safety measures are being followed to prevent fires or explosions in the workplace. A reliable safety recordkeeping system is needed to help organizations keep track of risks, control measures, and reinforcement of workplace safety. In addition to helping comply with DSEAR, having a good risk assessment system can help proactively improve workplace safety.
Risk assessment apps and cloud software can replace existing workflows involving paper forms, spreadsheets, scanning and faxing. iAuditor, the world’s #1 inspection software, can help promote workplace safety and allows you to:
- Create or modify mobile-ready DSEAR risk assessment templates (no IT skills needed)
- Empower teams to complete DSEAR assessments using a smartphone or tablet
- Attach photos and annotations in the app
- Save time and effort by recording reports online. Preview a sample web and PDF report.
- Use for free with small teams. Unlimited reports and storage for premium accounts.
Featured DSEAR Templates
DSEAR Risk Assessment Template
A DSEAR risk assessment template is a tool used by safety officers to identify, assess, and control safety risks that can lead to fires, explosions, and metal corrosion caused by hazardous substances in the workplace. Use this DSEAR assessment template to help maintain compliance with DSEAR and conduct risk assessments before beginning a new process or work activity. With this template, you can:
- Proactively identify potentially dangerous substances.
- Capture photos, describe risks, and provide the severity, likelihood, and risk rating.
- Immediately assign corrective actions with deadlines.
- Generate and submit reports using mobile devices.
- Conclude DSEAR assessment with recommendations and electronic signatures. .
DSEAR Risk Assessment Checklist
A DSEAR risk assessment checklist is used to check if a DSEAR risk assessment is necessary and to ensure that proper safety measures are in place. Use this checklist to identify the substance, review the control measures, and conclude if the risk is brought to the lowest level possible. This digitized checklist uses failed items and scoring to highlight areas for improvement.
Basic Risk Assessment Template
This basic risk assessment template can be used for asses any safety risk in the workplace. Learn how to use this template to perform an effective risk assessment and how to use a risk matrix in our beginner’s guide to performing risk assessments. Record hazards and take photos with the ability to annotate. Provide an overall risk rating and include the control measures put in place. Assign corrective actions immediately whilst observing hazards. Complete the assessment with any final recommendations before signing off and generating a report on your mobile device.