Vehicle Damage Reports
Streamline repair-work and insurance claims with digital recordkeeping
What is a Vehicle Damage Report?
Vehicle damage reports are used by drivers and fleet managers to assess required repair-work and support insurance claims. The report is used to document vehicles and parties involved, details of the accident, and the extent of the damage.
This article covers 1) elements of a good damage report; 2) technology that can help streamline your reporting processes; and 3) vehicle damage report templates you can download and use.
Elements of a Good Vehicle Damage Report
In addition to capturing general information of the time, location, vehicle, and parties involved, a good vehicle damage report should focus on factual details of the accident and the extent of the damage.
- Details of accident
Should cover all the circumstances and possible contributing factors which caused the accident. Details should be as factual and impartial as possible with opinions supported by evidence or explicitly made clear. Opinions of who caused the accident should be supported with sketches, witness statements and photo evidence.
- Extent of damage
Vehicle damage primarily arises as a result of collision, weather-impact, and unintended scratches/ dents. It is important to identify all areas of the vehicle that have been damaged and capture sufficient photo evidence of the key damage areas. It is also important to take photos of the surrounding vehicle and/ or environment involved in the damage.
A good vehicle damage report underpinned by facts, photo evidence, and witness statements will offer a better support for insurance claims as well as good fleet recordkeeping.
Paperless Vehicle Damage Reporting
Paper-based damage reports are burdensome for fleet managers to complete and the risk of losing paperwork can put insurance claims at risk. The inability to easily capture and combine photo evidence makes it difficult to identify the extent of the damage.
A digital solution like iAuditor can replace paper-based damage reports with a mobile app and cloud solution. iAuditor is easy to use, allows you to capture unlimited photo evidence and generate real-time damage reports at the scene of the incident.
To help you get started, we have built 3 Vehicle Damage Report Templates you can download for free. All templates are 100% customizable, no programming skills needed.
Featured Vehicle Damage Report Templates
1. Vehicle Damage Report Template
The vehicle damage report is used to collect necessary information such as details of the driver, vehicle damage, parties involved and witnesses statement to support insurance claims. Follow the points below to utilize the said form:
- Provide general details of the driver (full name, driver license number, VIN etc)
- Add description and sketch the scenario
- Take and annotate unlimited photos as evidence for your case
- Include signatures and statements from witnesses if applicable
- Complete the form by providing digital signatures verified by fleet manager
3. Accident Incident Report Form
An accident incident report form is used when someone got injured as a result of collision. This template can be used by fleet managers to document the details of the incident. Use this template to guide the inspector to perform the following:
- Capture all contact details and verification information of the injured person
- Describe full details of the injury and the accident
- Take photo evidence of the surroundings
- Record emergency services involvement (i.e. police, fire, paramedics), hospitalization information and witness statements
- Capture electronic signatures from the relevant person involved and injured person