Perform paperless maintenance inspections with your mobile device, take photos and generate comprehensive reports while on-site
What are Maintenance Checklists?
Maintenance checklists and logbooks are tools used by technicians to document equipment maintenance inspections. Equipment maintenance involves the continuous process of checking, repairing, and servicing operating equipment to ensure businesses can operate without interruption. Maintenance checklists can be used to better track records of actions performed for safety and quality purposes.
Importance of Equipment Maintenance
These are some of the key benefits of performing regular equipment maintenance inspections:
- Maintain reliability: ensure operating equipment is always available and in good working condition
- Ensure safety: regular checks can avoid unexpected hazards to surrounding people and technicians making repairs
- Improve efficiency: early detection of defects and immediate repair of damages can save both time and money in the long-term
- Good recordkeeping: consistent documentation of repairs and diagnostics can help identify broader trends and support future investigations
Using Maintenance Checklists and Logbooks
Maintenance checklists typically answer the following questions:
- What is the visual and physical condition of the equipment, machine, or facilities?
- Are there physical defects found?
- What actions are needed to be performed?
- What is the overall maintenance inspection assessment?
- Who performed the inspection?
Using Mobile Applications for your Maintenance Inspections
Paper-based maintenance checklists and logs can be a hassle to use and maintain for data gathering and record-keeping purposes. Producing defect reports can be challenging without the ability to easily include photo evidence. Losing paper documents can create unresolved issues that may not be addressed in a timely manner.
iAuditor, the world’s most powerful inspection app, can replace all of your paper-based maintenance checklists and logs. Completed maintenance reports can be more powerful and detailed with the ability to easily include photos with annotations to pinpoint key findings. Save all data captured using the iAuditor mobile app securely online in the cloud. Conveniently review organized information by logging in to your online dashboard.
We have collected 7 Maintenance Checklist Templates you can browse and download for free. All templates are 100% customizable and can be used for free on the iAuditor mobile app. iAuditor is free to use for small teams with subscription pricing for premium features.
7 Featured Maintenance Checklist Templates
1. Building Maintenance Form
Building maintenance form is used to proactively catch facility related issues at your workplace. With iAuditor facility maintenance teams can conduct:
- Digital inspections of the workplace’s lighting, electrical, safety, HVAC, plumbing, and building interior/exterior with a mobile device
- If you spot problems or anything that needs repair you can immediately assign tasks to the appropriate team or personnel while your maintenance check is ongoing
- Receive updates on the status of the delegated work
2. Vehicle Maintenance Checklist
A vehicle maintenance checklist is used to identify defects and mechanical issues for most vehicles. This template can be used by authorized inspectors to perform the following during inspection:
- Capturing general information of the vehicle including VIN, license plate and mileage
- Take a photo of the condition of the vehicle
- Physical checks of the brake system, coupling devices, engine operation, exhaust system, and other critical safety components
- Provide a list of recommendations
- Rate the overall roadworthiness of the vehicle
3. Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Checklist
A heavy vehicle maintenance checklist is used to identify problems and mechanical issues of heavy vehicles. It is used by certified technicians to prepare for the DOT annual vehicle inspection. The template has been built to guide the inspector to perform the following:
- Record the type, identification, and mileage of the vehicle
- Take a photo of the physical condition of the heavy vehicle
- Check the administrative conformance, brake system, fuel system, trailer conditions, and other components
- Provide helpful safe vehicle operation tips
- Overall condition ratings of the heavy vehicle
4. Generator Maintenance Checklist
A generator maintenance checklist is used to ensure diesel generators are readily available in case of power outages and can provide good power quality. Engineers can follow this template as a guide when performing inspections:
- Physical and visual checks of the diesel generator
- Capture photo evidence of leakage, damage, and defects
- Condition checks of battery, oil, and fuel
- Assess the overall condition of the diesel generator
- Provide digital signature and timestamp
5. CCTV Maintenance Log Template
A CCTV Maintenance log template is used to ensure surveillance equipment are operational. This template can be used by security teams to document any defects identified. The template has been built to guide the inspector to perform the following:
- Check the physical condition of cameras, wiring, and control equipment
- Record any defects found
- Document required repairs and send an in-app notification to the relevant contact
- Validate records of inspection with a digital signature and timestamp
6. HVAC Maintenance Template
HVAC Maintenance template is used to ensure building heating and air conditioning systems are running efficiently. HVAC contractors and property managers can follow these template instructions when performing their inspection:
- Identify the HVAC equipment
- Evaluate the physical condition then select between “OK, Needs Action, or N/A as your response
- Add comments and recommendations
- Complete the inspection with your digital signature
7. Fire Extinguisher Maintenance Schedule Template
A fire extinguisher maintenance schedule template is used to conduct a monthly fire extinguisher inspection to determine if the equipment meets the standards and safety measures for any emergency purposes. Trained professionals can follow this template as a guide when performing inspections:
- Check for fire extinguisher types (ABC, BC, A, D or K), inspection tags, seals, labels and extinguisher validity
- Identify and capture photos of defects
- Confirm the maintenance tag is signed by inspector which includes a time stamp