Vehicle Maintenance Log Templates
Reduce downtime of commercial and fleet vehicles with paperless vehicle maintenance logs in a mobile app
What is a Vehicle Maintenance Log?
A vehicle maintenance log is a historical record of the condition and repair work performed on an individual vehicle. It is used by commercial fleet owners ranging from small businesses to large transport operators for preventive maintenance, safety, and record keeping purposes.
Vehicle maintenance logs can be used to document both maintenance work/ costings as well as general vehicle inspection checks.
This article covers 1) tips for implementing an effective vehicle maintenance record-keeping program; 2) downloadable vehicle maintenance log templates; and 3) technology to help you streamline vehicle maintenance logs.
3 Tips for an Effective Vehicle Maintenance Record-keeping Program
An effective vehicle maintenance record-keeping program can help businesses reduce critical downtime, promote driver safety, manage maintenance costs and support insurance claims. Here are 3 tips that can help your business implement an effective vehicle maintenance record-keeping program:
1. Capture critical information only
Make vehicle maintenance records easy to navigate by indicating important vehicle details such as car make and model, insurance information, and vehicle identification number. Document inspections, maintenance, and repairs in detail by indicating the person who conducted it, date of completion and mileage numbers. You can also make reminders such as getting brakes checked or air filters changed. In the event of a vehicle getting involved in an accident, take note of all damages, cost of repairs and replacement parts.
2. Schedule periodical maintenance
Scheduling frequent vehicle maintenance inspections is important to ensure information is gathered regularly. Create a register of all vehicles in your fleet and prepare a maintenance schedule for each vehicle including frequency of inspection and person assigned to complete the inspection. Ensure you communicate to relevant persons assigned to perform the inspection.
3. Take lots of photo evidence
Photos can give you visibility of your vehicle’s condition. Photo evidence helps support required repair work and cost estimates. Photos also help support insurance claims in the event of poor maintenance or repairs performed in your vehicles. Ensure all photo evidence is referenced to the specific vehicle and the time the inspection was performed.
What is iAuditor and How Can I Use it as a Vehicle Maintenance Log?
iAuditor is an inspection software and mobile app which can be used by businesses to streamline their vehicle maintenance inspections and record keeping. iAuditor can be used as a mobile app for vehicle inspections and web-based platform for record-keeping and scheduling:
- Paperless vehicle inspections and logs on any hand-held device (works offline)
- Take photo evidence of defects, less time spent writing
- No more paperwork and emails – all inspections are automatically saved online
- Online dashboard to easily access all vehicle maintenance inspections
- Easily export all reports in PDF or Word format
- Real-time sharing of vehicle/ car maintenance reports
Vehicle Maintenance Schedule Software
- Automatically receive reminders on commercial vehicle maintenance schedule and other tasks assigned
- Online scheduling features to let you know who is not completing their inspections
To help you get started we have created 3 best vehicle maintenance log templates you can download and customize for free.
Top 3 Vehicle Maintenance Log Templates
Vehicle Maintenance Log
A vehicle maintenance log (or auto maintenance log) is used by commercial fleet owners to document maintenance work and repairs. Use this template to record crucial vehicle information and keep track of the vehicle’s condition. You can utilize this template by following the points below:
- Record work done on the vehicle (i.e inspection, maintenance or repairs)
- Take photo evidence of vehicle condition after maintenance
- Add notes and indicate estimated cost of repairs (if any)
- Provide recommendations of service
- Sign-off with a digital signature from assigned personnel
Vehicle Maintenance Form
Vehicle maintenance forms are used to document any defects and mechanical issues. The inspector should perform a walk around and operation of the vehicle to identify and log any issues found. Assign corrective actions to responsible teams for immediate resolution. Check the following key areas and take photo evidence of defects:
- Brake system
- Coupling devices
- Engine operation
- Fuel system
- Lighting devices
- Safety equipment
- Wheels & Tires