Published 10 Feb 2023
What is a Receiving Report?
A receiving report is a document used by companies to record materials received from suppliers during deliveries. Generally, receiving reports prepared by shipping or receiving staff are shared with other departments to notify them about received items. The details found in a receiving report help businesses with timely payment settlements for goods received and proper inventory management.
Receiving Report Template
A receiving report template is used to record all the information you need for your business, particularly when receiving deliveries. Use this template to easily specify the details of the delivery, describe the condition of the items received/ returned, and take or attach photos for additional context on the receiving report. Complete the template with your digital signature and automatically send the report to designated recipients using the SafetyCulture (iAuditor) app on your mobile device.
In this article
- Importance of a Receiving Report
- Receiving Report Format
- How to Use the Receiving Report Template
- Receiving Report Example
- How to Make Receiving Reports Easier
- Tool to Streamline Receiving and Reporting
- Download Free & Customizable Receiving Report Templates
Importance of a Receiving Report
A receiving report is important because it plays a crucial role in running a business smoothly. Maintaining a streamlined recordkeeping process for receiving reports will help avoid confusion among departments. It will also prevent delays in reconciling missing items, returned goods, or payables to business partners.
Receiving Report Format
The format of receiving reports vary greatly depending on company-specific requirements such as FOB terms and inspection criteria, among other factors. Since receiving reports are made by a lot of businesses across different industries, a basic format can be observed. A receiving report typically contains the following information:
Order DetailsReceiving report order details normally indicate the date and time of the received delivery, purchase order number, and name of the vendor. In some cases, receiving reports also include the name and signature of the person receiving the delivery for accountability purposes.
Item InformationReceiving report item information usually lists the item number with a description, quantity, price, and the condition of all items received. Documenting the condition of delivered items is crucial in the case of a return; something that can happen if the items are damaged or the wrong kind, among other reasons.
How to Use the Receiving Report Template
When receiving items, one should be keen on the details and overall condition of the goods obtained. Utilizing receiving report templates not only speeds up this process but also eases the method of sharing them with other teams and business units. Additionally, with the aid of receiving report templates, supply receivers keep inventory at a healthy level and help avoid incurring losses brought about by defective products.
Steps to Using the Receiving Report Template
Follow these steps for an efficient receiving report:
- Specify the item details – Ensure that all the essential information including item number, description, quantity, and unit price are added to the document. This will be the backbone of the report and can be used as a file to go back to when necessary.
- Conduct a thorough item inspection – Visually check each to-be-received item carefully and count the number if its correspondent to the expected quantity.
- Assess if goods are acceptable – From there, determine if the goods are acceptable to be received. If there are discrepancies in the quantity or quality of the product, decide if they should be returned to the supplier.
- Attach media evidence – To strengthen the report, add photos or videos of the appearance of the product as you receive them. This will also enable you to highlight should there be any good defects found.
- Complete the report – Add comments before completing the report. If needed, generate a report and share it with your team or other relevant stakeholders instantly.
Receiving Report Example
Aside from the usual order details and item information displayed in a table format, a receiving report can also come in the form of a few paragraphs with a required signatory. According to a top-ranked public college in New York City, below is an example of a receiving report:
- Title: Receiving Report
- Main Statement: The goods or services pertaining to purchase requisition number 1-234-56789 have been received in full or performed completely by the Supplier Company on this date.
- Supporting Details: Additionally, the goods have been delivered in good and/ or working condition, or the services have been performed satisfactorily, and payment can be made to the supplier.
- Supplemental Documents: If purchase requisition is for goods; please attach the packing slip or proof of delivery with this report.
- Authorized Signatory’s Name and Signature
- Date Signed
How to Make Receiving Reports Easier
Receiving reports had been traditionally done on paper, but today’s technology allows the creation of digital receiving reports from mobile-ready templates. In other words, a receiving report can now be made easier through auto-generation from mobile devices while onsite. Here are more specific results when taking advantage of digital receiving reports:
Increased EfficiencyReceiving reports need to be readily available when receiving deliveries and should be immediately submitted to accounting and other relevant departments upon completion. Digital receiving reports allow easy access on mobile devices and can be quickly filled out and submitted to all intended recipients through electronic reporting. No need to photocopy or scan paper receiving reports or identify which carbon copy goes to which department.
Uncomplicated AuditingDigital receiving reports allow automated document numbering for easier recordkeeping and audit trails. No more missing information or lost hard copies. Receiving reports filled out on mobile devices can also help avoid confusion caused by illegible handwriting.
Convenient RecordkeepingReceiving reports collected over time can be digitally stored and organized in cloud storage for your convenience and easy access. Digital reports can be accessed anytime, anywhere, as long as there’s an internet connection.
Tool to Streamline Receiving and Reporting
Receiving reports need to contain all the important information involving deliveries received by the business. SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor) can help employees use powerful receiving report templates during deliveries and record all the information you need and more.
Available on mobile devices, SafetyCulture receiving report templates can be filled out anytime there is a delivery and the filled out form can be submitted immediately to intended recipients. Utilize the automated numbering system and timestamped transactions for easy audit trails. You can also use your mobile device to take optional photos as evidence of the condition of deliveries and sign off completed receiving reports.
We have these receiving report templates that you can download for free and use on the SafetyCulture app. Feel free to explore SafetyCulture using your mobile device to maximize its benefits for you and your business.
Download Free & Customizable Receiving Report Templates
Receiving Report Form
This receiving report form is used in a US-based energy center by a leading North American electric power generation development and asset management company. Use this form to indicate the material receiving report number and storage location with pictures of the material in its offloaded location, among other report items. This form also has a section for over, short, and damaged materials with instructions for quantity discrepancies.
Material Receiving Report Template
A material receiving report template is a tool used to document receiving procedures for particular materials or goods. This template is created by one of North America’s premier electrical and rail systems contractors and it is divided into the following 5 sections:
- Materials Received
- Receiving Inspection Requirements
- Storage and Maintenance Requirements
- Additional Comments
Daily Receiving Report Template
This daily receiving report template can be used as an inspection checklist to easily assess newly-delivered materials from suppliers. Use this template to fill out general information and add unlimited number of received items with a tap of a finger. In this template, there are only 4 inspection criteria per item with the overall result as either accepted or rejected. With our easy-to-use editor, you can customize this template according to your daily business needs.