Elevator Maintenance Checklists
Ensure elevators are compliant and in good working condition. Mobile app for paperless maintenance inspections.
Importance of Elevator Maintenance
Elevator maintenance inspections are critical in ensuring compliance with building regulations and ensuring all equipment is in good working condition. Elevator malfunctions can inconvenience tenants, cause costly repairs and create safety hazards. Performing regular elevator maintenance inspections can mitigate these risks.
Performing Elevator Maintenance Inspections
Here are the three key steps when performing a scheduled elevator maintenance inspection:
- Communicate with tenants: Let tenants know that scheduled maintenance is occurring, use signs and notices. Avoid high foot traffic periods and always ensure alternative elevators or stairs are available. Include signage on all key floors that the elevator stops at.
- Perform the Inspection:
- Inside the car: Check the condition of signs and operating device symbols, button functions, ventilation, lighting, car door force when opening and closing. Ensure emergency devices are available and in good working condition.
- Top of the car: Examine if the travel cables and hoistways’ are operational and properly adjusted. Apply the appropriate lubrication for rails, governor ropes, suspension means, chains etc.
- Inspect machine room: It’s crucial to assess the conditions of equipment in the machine room. Supply the required lubrication to the suspension means, gears, bearings and other mechanical equipment that needs lubricating.
- Prepare report: Complete a comprehensive report of the inspection including photos of any equipment defects and description of any operational issues. Well documented reports are required for regulatory compliance, fire safety requirements and maintenance logs.
Technology to Streamline your Elevator Maintenance Inspections
Perform faster and better elevator maintenance reports using a mobile app like iAuditor. Capture photo evidence of equipment defects, take detailed repair note and generate reports before leaving the building.
To save you time we have created these best practice elevator maintenance checklists you can download and customize for free:
Featured Elevator Maintenance Template
Elevator/ Lift Maintenance Checklist
An elevator/ lift maintenance checklist is used to identify potential risks caused by equipment defects. Ensure elevator is operational and safe with the use of this checklist. The template has been built to guide the building maintenance personnel to perform the following:
- Conduct an inspection of the equipment inside of car, top of car and the machine room
- Report any defects found and capture photo evidence
- Add comments and recommendations
- Complete the inspection by providing name and signature
Emergency Operations Checklist for Elevator Maintenance
An emergency operations checklist can be used to ensure that the elevator’s emergency features are in good working condition. This checklist can be used by firefighters and emergency officers when performing scheduled elevator inspections.
- Follow the instructions to call the elevator using relevant switches
- Check the overall operation of the elevator using “Pass/ Fail” responses
- Provide a record of overall findings and emergency preparedness