What is a Plant Risk Assessment Template?
A plant risk assessment template is used to identify risks in a plant and determine appropriate control measures. Inspectors and occupational health and safety officers mitigate plant risks by determining hazards, likelihood of incidents, severity of injury and damage to property at the onset. Aside from keeping workers safe, plants are required to comply with occupational health and safety legislation, and regular plant risk assessments help in maintaining safety standards within the facility.
This article will briefly discuss (1) workplace hazards to look out for in plants, (2) technology for conducting plant risk assessments, and (3) digital plant risk assessment templates you can use.
Click here for the Top 3 Plant Risk Assessment Templates
Common Plant Workplace Hazards
While it is important to proactively perform scheduled pump inspections and keep pumps in good working condition to maintain uninterrupted operation, it is vital to first ensure that the inspectors are safe. Here are the vital items to check during a plant risk assessment and the common questions inspectors ask.
• Work environment
Is the ventilation poor? Are there confined spaces where workers cannot move properly? How is the lighting in the plant? Are workers exposed to constant loud noise? Is the floor clean and dry? Are ladders secure and do elevated spaces have guardrails? Is the workplace ergonomically designed? Are workers exposed to extreme temperatures?
• Equipment, tools, and substances
Are there appropriate machine guarding? Are chemicals labeled correctly, in their recommended containers, and properly stored? Are all tools in the working area in good working condition?
• Performance of tasks
Do workers have prolonged exposure to vibration? Is everybody wearing proper PPE? Is Lockout Tagout being followed? Are workers trained not only in the execution of tasks but also in safe working practices?
Technology for Conducting Plant Risk Assessments
Capturing hazards and determining the corresponding control measures are vital in plant risk assessments. iAuditor, the world’s most powerful mobile inspection tool, can help inspectors and safety officers conduct plant risk assessments more conveniently and promote safety in the workplace.
✔ Detailed reports with photos
- Take unlimited photos and make detailed notes using iAuditor on your mobile device
- iAuditor mobile app is compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows and can work even while offline so you can conduct plant risk assessments anytime, anywhere
✔ Proactive corrective action
- Urgent issues observed during plant risk assessments can be corrected by assigning tasks on the spot
✔ Mobile reporting
- Submit reports and share findings via weblink or PDF document
✔ Convenient recordkeeping
- Automatic cloud-based recordkeeping that can be accessed via mobile device or desktop
- Organized and unlimited storage of plant risk assessments and other inspections
- iAuditor’s analytics allows you to observe trends and identify frequent issues
- Use data collected to reinforce safe work practices