Machine Guarding Safety Tips
Employers should strive to keep their workplace and workers safe particularly when working with machinery. Here are some safety reminders when working with machine guards:
- Always check if guards are properly installed before commencing work.
- Machine guards must be placed in proper position and prevent physical contact with the operator.
- Ensure machine guards are secure and strong.
- Ensure workers cannot bypass, remove, or tamper machines guards.
- When installing machine guarding ensure that no objects can fall into moving parts of the machine.
- Ensure employees are trained on specific machine guard.
- Machine guards should not obstruct the operator’s view.
- If possible, the machine should be lubricated without removing machine guards.
- A competent person must correct machine guard immediately if defects were detected.
- Machine operators should be trained on the hazards associated with particular machines.
- Employees should be aware of emergency protocols.
- Lockout the machine before removing guard when performing maintenance.