How to Safely Apply and Remove LOTO Devices?
Application of LOTO Device
- Check all sources of power before shutting down.
- Notify all effective workers that the LOTO procedure will start.
- Turn off the equipment by following its proper shutdown procedure.
- Isolate the equipment by turning off the energy at the main power source.
- Lock and tag each energy isolating device. If two or more persons are using the device, then all of them should put a lock to the equipment.
- Release any stored energy like draining valves, releasing hydraulic pressure, blocking moving parts, etc.
- Verify if the power is shut off by trying to restart the machine. Return the machine’s switch to the off position once verified.
Removal of LOTO Device
- Remove all tools and replace machine guards.
- Check if all employees have cleared off the machine.
- Remove the LOTO devices. Each person must remove its own lock and tag.
- Notify all affected workers that LOTO devices have been removed.
- Restore the energy.