General Safety Tips for Crane Operations
Unsafe crane activities can put workers and bystanders at serious risk. Operators must have the necessary skills, training and reminders to do their jobs safely. Equipment must be regularly inspected for damage and safe operation before shifts.
- Understand requirements of the job - weight of the loads to carry, balance and the distance where you lift and move it to.
- Identify all existing and new hazards - overloaded cranes, falling materials etc.
- Ensure that the crane operator is trained and well equipped.
- Be aware of the safety measures.
- Perform daily inspections.
- Always check your hoist and rating at the beginning of your shift.
- Examine load chain for damage or twists, or the wire rope for kinks or fraying.
- Check that hooks are in good shape.
- Balance and secure loads carefully. Never leave unattended or carry over another person.
- Be attentive to where you are moving your load.