Working in Confined Spaces
General safety tips when working in confined spaces:
- Area must be free from hazards - Before entering a confined space, ensure that it has a permit prior to entry and the area is free from harmful materials and substances.
- Test the atmosphere - A trained worker must conduct series of atmosphere tests (Oxygen, hydrogen and explosive gas tests) which need to be recorded or included on the work permit.
- Ventilate - Never use the ventilator as a vacuum to draw the air outside. Make sure your fan is safe and grounded. Also, test the atmosphere as much as possible. If the atmosphere is within limits, it is recommended to ventilate again.
- Watch one another - When someone is working on a confined space, always ensure to have workaround watch who can call rescue teams for emergencies or is capable and equipped to conduct a rescue.
- Use PPE - Use harness, lifeline or continuous gas monitoring device. Also, use a self contained breathing apparatus if needed.