Published 24 Feb 2023
What is an Equipment Sign Out Sheet?
An equipment sign out sheet is a tool used by equipment managers, IT and facilities, and materials managers to keep track of equipment and company assets. It typically includes details of: the employee checking the equipment out, equipment type/reference, and any reported damage.
Equipment Sign Out Sheet
Use this equipment sign out sheet template to digitally record details of any equipment issued to employees. Record the equipment condition, quantity along with employee details. Take photos of any equipment with minor damage. Utilize this template by following the points below:
- Specify equipment details including the quantity and condition
- Take photo evidence and detailed notes if there is damage
- Identify dates of issuance and return
- Tick the checkbox agreement with company to confirm usage policies
- Sign the template off with your full name and signature
In this article
- The Importance of Using an Equipment Sign Out Sheet
- What Makes the Best Equipment Sign Out Sheet
- FAQs About Equipment Sign Out Sheets
- Technology to Streamline Your Sign out Forms
- Featured Equipment Sign Out Templates
The Importance of Using an Equipment Sign Out Sheet
Company assets are used by employees to perform their job effectively. An equipment sign out sheet can help an organization keep track of the usage, location and physical condition of its equipment. Common types of equipment that implement sign out sheets include electronics (e.g. laptops, tablets, smartphones), tools (e.g. power tools, measurement devices, machinery), and wearables (e.g. PPE, shared uniforms, safety gears). Key benefits of using an equipment sign out sheet include:
- Keeping track of usage and maximizing utilization of existing equipment
- Track physical condition of assets
- Helps emphasize employee responsibility on the proper handling of company resources (i.e. appropriate usage, return policies etc.)
- Helps reduce costs by encouraging the proper use and maintenance of company equipment
What Makes the Best Equipment Sign Out Sheet
A good equipment sign out sheet should allow staff to record relevant details about the equipment being checked out, employees handling the equipment, issuance policies/ return date (if applicable), and agreement on the usage of company assets.
- Equipment details – Equipment details should include all identifying feature, such as a barcode, equipment number, or any accessories of the equipment (if there’s any). Usage details should be included to help management plan for future purchases.
- Employee details – Include the employees’ full name, employee number, and contact details. Signatures should also be added on the sign out form to confirm checkout and confirmation of usage policies.
- Issuance and/ or Return Dates – Include specific dates for issuance and the date when the item must be returned. This is designed to help with an organization’s equipment circulation.
- Proof of Condition – Take photo evidence and detailed notes of any existing damage found on the device. This is important for maintenance checks and assigning responsibility of intentional or accidental employee damage.
- Usage Agreement – Include this in the sign out sheet to ensure important policies are discussed and agreed upon before issuance of the company assets.
FAQs About Equipment Sign Out Sheets
Also called an equipment checkout form template, an equipment sign out sheet can help ensure legal and compliant use of company resources and help avoid misuse, loss, and theft of company equipment.
An equipment sign out sheet can be used by any organization that shares equipment among multiple users. This includes businesses, schools, non-profits, government agencies, and more. Such documents make it easier to track company assets and maximize their use.
Equipment sign out sheets should be kept in a central location that is easily accessible to those who need them. They should also be consistently utilized for streamlined asset tracking within organizations. In addition, the sheet should be periodically reviewed to ensure that all equipment is accounted for and that there are no discrepancies.
Technology to Streamline Your Sign out Forms
Keeping track of equipment inventory using paper forms and spreadsheets generates burdensome paperwork and is ineffective at capturing photo evidence of equipment condition. SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor) is a powerful mobile app that can replace your paper-based sign out forms and help streamline your equipment sign out processes. Employees can easily check out assets on a tablet or smartphone and even take photos as evidence of the equipment logged. Equipment managers can eliminate paperwork and can track all equipment usage online.
To help you get started, we have created the best equipment sign out sheet templates you can use for any type of industry. Browse these free equipment checkout form templates and begin to streamline your equipment sign out process.
Featured Equipment Sign Out Templates
Equipment Checkout Form Template
Use this equipment checkout form template to record equipment details including its type (i.e. electronic, tool, wearable etc). Reinforce equipment usage responsibility and record relevant details.
Equipment Sign Out Form
Use this equipment sign out form to record all equipment sign out during the workday. Identify as many equipment as needed for the duration of the shift and enter the equipment type, number, purpose, and the operator’s name and signature. Complete the equipment sign out form with the equipment manager’s comments and signature.
Equipment Return Sheet Template
Utilize this equipment return sheet to document all the relevant details of all the equipment that has been returned to the organization. Record any changes regarding the asset’s quality (if there are) and leave notes.
Bonus! Sign in Sheet Template
A sign in sheet template can be used to record visitors’ sign in and sign out. You can use this digital sign in sheet template to record the number of visitors at your site. Read more about using sign in sheet templates.