Published 13 Feb 2022
What Is a Daily Log?
A daily log is a record written by project managers to keep track of the progress made on a job. It is used in different industries such as construction, transportation, and professional services. Regularly logging business activities enables project managers to stay on top of daily operations. Using editable templates makes it easier to document noteworthy events every day, helping improve communication, collaboration, and productivity in the workplace.
This daily log template can be used to complete work logs every day. It has been created to make it easier for managers to monitor the progress of their projects on a day-to-day basis. Use this template in iAuditor to easily:
- Enter the general information such as company name, registered address, department, employee name, and role. The date and time is automatically logged upon editing this template on the iAuditor web or mobile app.
- Write the description of an activity that occurred in the workplace. Add as many entries as needed by tapping on the plus (+) button.
- Indicate if the type of event is new, ongoing, related, or others. If related or others is selected, an additional space will automatically be prompted for specifying that item.
- Take and/or attach photos relevant to the log entry and make annotations wherever necessary to ensure clarity.
- If follow-up actions are required, instructions on how to create an action within the iAuditor mobile app is provided with a sample image for easier visual reference.
- Add other observations or comments which can also be conducted via text-to-speech technology.
- Validate the completion of the log with a digital signature that automatically attaches date and time stamps.
This article features:
A daily log is important because it maintains a consistent account of significant occurrences in the workplace, rendering it admissible as documentary evidence in case of legal disputes. The value of daily logs should not be underestimated because they can also be powerful tools for operational efficiency and continuous improvement. Logging everyday progress provides project managers the visibility to pursue data-driven decisions, optimize work processes, and boost team performance.
The list of information in a daily log actually depends on various factors such as national laws, industry standards, company requirements, client specifications, and writer preferences. For example, US federal regulations require commercial motor vehicle drivers to keep a daily log, recording their duty status for each 24-hour period with supporting documents. To make daily logs more doable while still being actionable and useful, consider the following example of the essential details needed:
- Time and Date: The most basic element to commence an activity log is the date and time it was written. In some instances, weather conditions might also be indicated to present additional data about what the specific day was like.
- Section Title: Entries in the log should be organized in different segments for easier future reference. In construction, section titles might include employees and hours worked, tasks completed, equipment operated, and materials used.
- Event Description: Effective daily logs often come from efficient logging that is a balance between being comprehensive and also concise. When describing exactly what transpired in a day, remember to take note of critical items such as names, places, quantities, and amounts.
- Related Event: To easily make sense of the facts, determine whether or not the particular event is related to a previous or an ongoing activity that’s already logged. Connecting related logs can show how certain events might affect other functions or procedures.
- Required Action: Establish work continuity by specifying actions for that day with assignees and due dates. Following up on these tasks can help build a culture of consistency and reinforce productivity among workers.
Completing activity logs can be time-consuming because they need to be constantly updated, yet also kept as accurate as possible. With the tendency to become just another monotonous task, daily logs can also be burdensome to do at times. Since project managers already deal with busy schedules and tight deadlines day by day, logging progress at work should be as easy and hassle-free as possible. iAuditor by SafetyCulture is a digital operations platform that can streamline daily log documentation and recordkeeping. With iAuditor, creating and organizing daily logs can become a breeze:
- Download free editable templates from our shortlist below and use them on mobile devices such as smartphones, iPads, and tablets.
- Add notes, take photos, and attach files in the daily log and for follow-up concerns, assign actions to designated staff with priority levels and due dates.
- Save drafts and complete logs in a secure online cloud or automatically convert them into a professional PDF report that can be sent via email.
- Integrate data collected with other existing platforms via seamless API Integration.
Download Free Templates for Daily Logs
A construction daily log, also known as a construction daily report of activities, is a record of the work done in the job site for the day. Start by providing details about the job, weather and precipitation, workforce, instructions given, delays, and materials. Next, document any risks observed or incidents that occurred and include photos. Indicate inspections that happened and record visitors on-site as well. Finally, complete the report by including a digital signature of the foreman or site supervisor.
This daily temperature log aims to help staff accomplish routine temperature monitoring of food items in cold storage. Upon setting to accept the recommended temperature at 40°F or below, any higher value entered using this template will automatically prompt the user to take action and provide details with an optional photo of actions taken. It also has the functionality to add multiple temperature entries in a single log.
Employees can use this template to easily log their work hours with their own mobile device. Intended for small and medium-sized businesses, this daily log sheet can help managers to effectively monitor the participation, compliance, and productivity of their teams. Each day, start by entering your name, department, and summary of tasks completed. Next, specify the time in/ time out information and mobile phone number. Finally, confirm the authenticity of details with an electronic signature.
Use this template for documenting maintenance activities and other inspections done with various types of equipment. Fill out this daily activity log by indicating the date and time of maintenance, description of actions taken, photos of the equipment, and digital signatures of the technician and supervisor. This template is also customizable on iAuditor’s easy-to-use template editor so managers can add, edit, or delete certain elements to ensure that the template fits their business needs.
Use this template for recording maintenance work done during daily swimming pool checks. This daily work log helps pool operators and managers ensure that all information is captured as required by regulations. This template also displays valuable reference materials that state the next course of action upon reaching certain results to improve work efficiency.
This drivers daily log is created according to the guidelines of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) under the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). Use this template to record on-duty and off-duty status, mileage, fuel receipts, toll tickets, and other documents required for complete and accurate driver logs. Even when offline, the data logged using this template is automatically saved and then secured in the cloud when back online.
Use this daily cleaning log to help maintain the cleanliness of restrooms in any establishment. Before commencing business operations, quickly go through this template to inspect restrooms, including checking for bad odors and unsanitary conditions. To easily visualize any concern that needs immediate action, take and annotate photos that automatically get attached in the log.
This daily time log is designed for service providers to ensure the timeliness of deliveries or services. Dispatchers can use this template to assign schedules and document the assistance performed during customer visits, including repair, installation work, or other services. Use this template to log the time when a particular delivery or service is requested together with its priority level, location, and description of the job.