Published 13 Sep 2022
What is an Order Form?
An order form is a document that outlines the items in a customer’s order, the price and quantity of each item, and the customer’s preferred method of payment. Order forms can be used for a variety of products and services to help facilitate a customer’s request or intent to purchase. Aside from making sales much easier for the business, an order form can also help streamline their order processing workflows.
This generic order form template can be customized to suit the needs and preferences of your organization. A printed/digital copy of this document can also double as an order slip template upon delivery or completion to the customer. With this order form, you can do the following:
- Record the order date, order number, and site of purchase
- Specify the category, name, and number of each item in the customer’s order
- Add the photo, price, quantity, subtotal, discount, tax, and total for each item
- Document items with separate shipping or delivery dates
- Note the payment type and status
- Coordinate with the warehouse or stockroom
- Include the shipping company and mode of shipment
- Evaluate the speed of shipping in relation to the expected shipping date
- Determine how long each item was in transit
- Select from a list of common customer complaints to quickly capture and categorize customer feedback
This article will briefly discuss the following:
- what should be on an order form;
- how to make an order form with iAuditor;
- sample templates to download and use; and
- free order form templates printable as PDF.
What Should Be On an Order Form?
Parts of an order form that you should include:
- Company/Seller name and business address
- Customer/Buyer name and billing address
- Date of order
- Order number
- Item name and/or description
- Price per item and quantity
- Total amount to be paid
- Expected delivery date
- Payment information
How to Make an Order Form Using iAuditor
SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor) is a collaborative operations platform with a robust form builder for teams to create customized order forms and more. iAuditor is GDPR-compliant and can automatically notify your warehouse or stockroom team whenever an order form is completed. You can also export to Google Sheets and Excel using integrations. Make an order form in 3 simple steps with iAuditor:
- Download the free order form template or create your own.
- Edit the template to add, change, or delete fields.
- Add your brand or company logo to the template.
How to configure iAuditor to allow customers to place orders and receive updates on the status of their orders:
- Add a new Issues category and name it. You can have one Issues category for all orders or different Issues categories based on the order type or its product category.
- Select who gets notified when a customer submits their order.
- Add up to 5 custom questions. No need to add questions asking for the customer’s name and contact info. These questions will automatically appear at the end of the customer’s order submission.
- Copy the Issues QR code link. Post it on your website or social media accounts.
- Once a customer submits an order, you can assign it to someone within your organization so that it’s clear who is primarily responsible for fulfilling the customer’s order. You can also add a site to attribute the order to, as well as set the order’s priority and due date.
- Share the order link with your customer to keep them informed on the status of their order. You can even share photos, videos, and PDF files with them through this order link.
- Use the order form template to formally record the customer’s order and get more insights on how efficient your team is when it comes to processing orders.
Below are some sample templates that you can use as inspiration when creating your own order form and also download if you think only a few edits are needed to make them perfect for you:
Purchase Order Form
A purchase order form is typically prepared when a business is offering to purchase a specific item and number of items from the product catalog of another business. Unlike the usual customer order forms, purchase order forms are more straightforward since it is an initiative of the buyer to issue the form to the seller.
Material Order Form
A material order form is used in the construction industry to lay out the materials that the firm or on-site team needs from the supplier. The purpose of using a material order form is to clearly state the type and the quantity of materials that the firm is requesting. This list is then approved by someone within the company before being sent out to the supplier as a formal requisition.
Repair Order Form
A repair order form is used in facility maintenance and automotive repair to describe the problem or issue causing the need for repair. It can also specify the type of maintenance or repair that the object needs or leave that for the technician to decide once they check and inspect the object. Additionally, instead of price, a quote or estimated cost of service is provided in the repair order form.
Free Order Forms
This purchase order form template is ideal for wholesalers or bulk orders. Use this purchase order form to do the following:
- State the purchase order date and number
- Clarify the shipping and payment terms
- Add as many items as you need to the order
- Record the tax rate, tax, shipping and handling fees
- Approve the purchase order by digitally signing
Best used in construction, this material order form template can be used in a variety of settings that require the enumeration of materials needed. It can also act as a product order form template for purchasing managers, order fulfillment managers, and other relevant personnel to request and deliver necessary products. Further, you can do the following with this material order form:
- Set the shipping and billing address using GPS location
- Add the material code, type, description, quantity, size/dimensions, and price
- Specify the subtotal, tax, delivery fee, total, and expected delivery date
Auto repair shops and maintenance teams can use this repair order form template to document not only repair, but also other kinds of services. For auto repair, the template includes a list of common services requested and fields to record the vehicle’s year/make/model, serial number, and mileage. Maintenance teams in other industries can also use this repair order form to do the following:
- Attach before and after photos so that customers can see the difference the repair or service made in the report
- Confirm the date and time when repair or service started and ended
- Add the type, description, and cost of new and replacement parts