COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
Help prevent COVID-19 and mitigate the spread of infection using a digital inspection tool
What is COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
COVID-19, previously called novel coronavirus disease or 2019 nCoV, is the viral disease that has caused global concern. Starting out as an outbreak, it has negatively impacted world trade and economies, limited global travel and tourism, forced the lockdown of cities, and is now the latest pandemic after the 2009 H1N1 that originated in North America.
How Did COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Come About?
Officially named COVID-19 by the World Health Organization (WHO) on February 11, 2020, the respiratory disease is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus that was first detected in Central China’s city of Wuhan on December 8, 2019. COVID-19 has then spread to more than a hundred countries with over a hundred thousand confirmed cases. The global mortality rate of COVID-19 is 3.5% as of writing.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) vs Influenza (flu): What is the Difference?
The flu and COVID-19 are both respiratory diseases with similar symptoms, but they are caused by two different viruses. Here are some similarities and differences between COVID-19 and the flu.
In the absence of a medically approved vaccine for COVID-19, people are advised to follow precautionary measures to avoid getting infected and mitigate the further spread of the disease.
How Can Individuals and Households Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides some recommendations for individuals and families.
- Be alert for any update from public health officials regarding COVID-19 in your community.
- Consider household members who are at greater risk such as older adults and those with severe chronic illnesses and take actions to reduce the risk of getting infected.
- Update your emergency contact list that includes household members, community resources, and healthcare providers.
- Follow preventive measures such as frequent proper washing of hands, disinfection of frequently touched objects, and avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Prepare a room that can be used for isolation in case a household member gets sick.
Act (in case of an outbreak)
- The CDC recommends seeking immediate medical attention if you develop these emergency warning signs for COVID-19. However, this list is not all-inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
- Practice social distancing or maintaining distance from people as much as possible (6 feet).
- Stay away from others who are currently ill.
- For older adults and those with severe chronic illnesses:
- Stay at home and away from crowds as much as possible;
- have several weeks’ worth of medication and supplies if staying at home; and
- observe good hand hygiene.
How Can Businesses Protect Employees From COVID-19?
The spread of COVID-19 has impacted businesses and industries worldwide, and it is best for employers to determine ways to prevent COVID-19 from becoming an occupational hazard. Businesses and organizations can practice the following to mitigate risks in the workplace:
- Observe proper information dissemination in the workplace and cascade guidelines that employees can follow regarding COVID-19.
- Read and understand the CDC’s recommendation for employers:
- Employees should be informed and encouraged to stay at home when they’re not feeling well.
- Employees who are sick or become sick while in the workplace should be separated from other employees and sent home.
- Educate employees on proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Environmental cleaning should be routine. Frequently touched surfaces should always be cleaned.
- Employees who travel are encouraged to check out travel advisories from the CDC website and follow the recommendation for each country.
- Employers should have a risk assessment conducted in the workplace to determine the level of risk of infection and come up with corresponding mitigation.
Tool for COVID-19 Preparedness
COVID-19 is the latest pandemic to impact the world with confirmed cases increasing exponentially everyday. With the absence of a vaccine, the best defence against COVID-19 is to ensure that recommended protocols are followed to prevent getting infected and control its spread. iAuditor by SafetyCulture is a powerful inspection tool that can help make sure that steps are taken to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. With iAuditor, you can:
- Follow recommended steps to prevent the further spread of COVID-19
- Proactively catch areas of concern and act quickly to correct vulnerabilities
- Immediately submit reports to provide updates to intended recipients
- Edit COVID-19 checklists to fit the unique needs of your organization
We have prepared free COVID-19 checklists below that you can use to help you, your community, and your organization prepare for COVID-19.
As we are all working together to contain the spread of COVID-19, we also have COVID-19 checklists in multiple languages: German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Checklists
Coronavirus COVID-19 Home Office Self Assessment Checklist
Due to the ongoing impact of coronavirus more employees are being required or encouraged to work from home. Employees working from home can use this checklist to assess the suitability of their home office workspace. This checklist assesses personal health and wellbeing, lone worker considerations, and workspace safety.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Inspection Checklist
Use this COVID-19 Checklist to help ensure that your organization has taken all the preventative measures necessary to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Hand Hygiene Checklist (WHO)
Use this hand hygiene audit checklist to assess hand hygiene practices based on WHO’s Five Moments and automatically measure the overall compliance score of unlimited hand hygiene observations.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Checklist for Individuals and Families (CDC)
Individuals can use this checklist to help families and communities take steps to prevent the spread of Covid-19. This checklist is derived from the Checklist for Individuals and Families by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Risk Assessment Template
Conduct a risk assessment to determine your organization’s vulnerability to COVID-19 and come up with steps to prevent infection and mitigate the spread of the disease.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Hospital Readiness Checklist (CDC)
Hospitals can use this checklist to help ensure that the medical staff is equipped with addressing COVID-19 cases and help prevent its spread. This checklist is derived from the Hospital Preparedness Assessment Tool by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Screening Checklist for Visitors and Employees
Healthcare institutions and assisted living providers can use this COVID-19 screening checklist to help ensure the safety of their institutions and control the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Healthcare Providers Preparedness Checklist (CDC)
This healthcare providers checklist can be used to review the steps in the preparation for transport and arrival of patients with confirmed or possible COVID-19. This checklist is derived from the Healthcare Professional Preparedness Checklist For Transport and Arrival of Patients With Confirmed or Possible COVID-19 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Community and Faith-based Organizations Checklist (CDC)
Community and Faith-based Organizations can use this checklist to help ensure that key members can prepare for the possibility of a COVID-19 outbreak. This checklist is derived from the Checklist for Community and Faith Leaders by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 Cleaning and Personal Hygiene Inspection Checklist
Use this checklist to ensure you are following CDC guidelines for cleaning and hygiene to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Coronavirus "COVID-19" Home Office Risikobewertung Checklist
Wenn Sie von zu Hause aus arbeiten, füllen Sie diese Prüfung bitte von Ihrem Wohnort aus.
COVID-19 Evaluación De Riesgos en El Trabajo Desde Casa.
Si quieres trabajar desde casa, por favor completa esta evaluación de riesgos desde su casa (o su nuevo lugar de trabajo).
COVID-19 - Évaluation Des Risques liés Au Travail à Domicile
Si vous choisissez de travailler à domicile, veuillez compléter cette évaluation des risques à domicile.
COVID-19 - Lavoro Da Casa - Valutazione Del Rischio Checklist
Utilizza questo form per la valutazione del rischio nelle situazioni di lavoro da remoto o da casa.
Coronavirus "COVID-19" Avaliação De Risco Para Trabalho Remoto
Se escolheu trabalhar a partir de casa, por favor complete a seguinte Avaliação de Risco.